Finding Magnitude of Momentum and Change in Momentum

• Thread starter ACLerok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary: If the object doesn't lose any energy, then its momentum must be the same after the collision as it was before. If the object loses energy (by bouncing off the table, for example), then its momentum after the collision is less than it was before. But in most cases, energy is conserved and the momentum after the collision is equal to the momentum before the collision.
ACLerok
Right now we're studying momentum and impulse. I know how to find momentum and impulse but how do you find the total magnitude of momentum in a system? How about the change in momentum?

And finally, for example, if two objects of different mass and different speed collide with each other and then stick together, how do you find their final velocity and in what direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by ACLerok
Right now we're studying momentum and impulse. I know how to find momentum and impulse but how do you find the total magnitude of momentum in a system? How about the change in momentum?
To find the total momentum of a system, add the momenta of each object. Remember that momentum is a vector, so learn to add vectors.
Also, Δmomentum = momentumfinal-momentuminitial. For this, you have to subtract vectors.
And finally, for example, if two objects of different mass and different speed collide with each other and then stick together, how do you find their final velocity and in what direction?
You take advantage of the fact that momentum doesn't change during a collision. So the initial momentum (vector sum of the two momenta before collision) must equal the final momentum (massXvelocity of the combined mass after the collision).

But, talk is cheap. The only way to learn this stuff is by doing a bunch of problems. Get busy!

To add vectors you square both components (or all three if z is involved) and take the square root of the some of them correct?
Thanks!

To add vectors you square both components (or all three if z is involved) and take the square root of the some of them correct?
There are at least two ways to add vectors. You can break them into components, and add the components of each. The magnitude of the resultant is found as you state:

R = √(Rx2 + Ry2)
But you also have to find the direction of the resultant vector.

The other way is to draw the arrows and add them directly, using trig. Sometimes that's easier.

Originally posted by Doc Al
There are at least two ways to add vectors. You can break them into components, and add the components of each. The magnitude of the resultant is found as you state:

R = √(Rx2 + Ry2)
But you also have to find the direction of the resultant vector.

The other way is to draw the arrows and add them directly, using trig. Sometimes that's easier.

k i understand.. the direction and angle can be found just by finding the arctan of the y component divided by the x component. thanks

Me again. So I was able to do many of the word problems but there is one about momentum and impulse that is till buggin the crap out of me. Basically, a ball is dropped from a certain height, its a table, and then bounces back up. The problem is asking to find the momentum before and after the collision with the table. Momentum is massXvelocity but there's is no mention of velocity. I tried using the equation for gravitational potential energy (mgh) but that is wrong. Any help please? Once I find the momentum before, howdo I find it after the collision?
Thanks

There's nothing wrong with using "mgh" to find the speed before the collision. KE = mgh. Once you have the KE, calculate the speed from the definition of KE. Given the speed, what's the velocity and thus the momentum?

As far as after the collision, that depends on the kind of collision. Was it elastic? (Did it bounce back up to the original height?) If so, energy is conserved. If it has the same speed just after the collision, what about its velocity and momentum?

Remember that momentum and velocity are vectors.

it does not bounce back to its original drop point. momentum is not conserved. how would i tackle this?

it does not bounce back to its original drop point. momentum is not conserved. how would i tackle this?
How high does it bounce? If you know that, you can figure out how fast it left the ground. For example, if it doesn't bounce at all, all the KE is lost: its speed after the collision is zero. (Think of dropping a lump of putty.)

Momentum conservation has nothing to do with it; we're talking about energy conservation.

1. How do you calculate the magnitude of momentum?

To calculate the magnitude of momentum, you can use the formula p = mv, where p represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity. Simply multiply the mass of the object by its velocity to find the magnitude of its momentum.

2. What is change in momentum?

Change in momentum refers to the difference in the momentum of an object before and after a force is applied to it. This change can be positive or negative, depending on whether the object's momentum increases or decreases.

3. How do you find the change in momentum?

To find the change in momentum, you can use the formula ∆p = m∆v, where ∆p represents change in momentum, m represents mass, and ∆v represents change in velocity. This formula takes into account the difference in velocity before and after a force is applied.

4. What is the unit for momentum?

The unit for momentum is kilogram meters per second (kg·m/s). This unit combines the units for mass (kilograms) and velocity (meters per second) to represent the quantity of an object's motion.

5. How does Newton's second law relate to finding magnitude of momentum and change in momentum?

Newton's second law states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. This can also be written as F = ma. When considering momentum and change in momentum, this law can be used to calculate the force required to change an object's momentum or the resulting change in momentum from a given force.