Converting Flowrate: Simple Homework Problem Solution

• Thread starter John31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flowrate
In summary, the student had a fluids problem involving a given flow rate of 150N/s. They realized that they could convert this to mass flow rate by dividing by 9.81 and then use the formula mass flow rate = density * velocity * area to solve for velocity. The correctness of this approach was confirmed by someone else.
John31

Homework Statement

I have a fluids problem, I will know how to solve it once I can convert the-Wflowrate = 150N/s, to velocity or even mass flowrate.

The Attempt at a Solution

As i was typing this question i think it came to me I was just drawing a blank but since the given is in N/s i can just divide the 150 by 9.81 to get mass flowrate correct? I then know I can set my mass flow rate=density*velocity*area (I know the density and area so I can solve for velocity). Someone please verify :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that would be correct.

Related to Converting Flowrate: Simple Homework Problem Solution

1. What is a flowrate and how is it measured?

A flowrate is the rate at which a fluid (gas or liquid) moves through a specific point in a system. It is typically measured in units of volume per time, such as cubic meters per second or gallons per minute.

2. How do I convert between different units of flowrate?

To convert from one unit of flowrate to another, you can use a conversion factor. For example, to convert from cubic meters per second to liters per minute, you would multiply the flowrate in cubic meters per second by 60, since there are 60 seconds in a minute and 1000 liters in a cubic meter.

3. Can flowrate be affected by changes in temperature or pressure?

Yes, flowrate can be affected by changes in temperature and pressure. As temperature increases, the viscosity of a fluid decreases, allowing it to flow more easily. Similarly, as pressure increases, the density of a fluid increases, making it more difficult to flow.

4. How does flowrate impact the operation of a system?

Flowrate is an important factor in the operation of many systems, particularly those involving the movement of fluids. It can impact the efficiency of the system, the amount of energy required to operate it, and the overall performance of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using flowrate as a measurement?

While flowrate is a useful measurement for many systems, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not take into account the properties of the fluid being measured, such as its density or viscosity. Additionally, flowrate measurements can be affected by factors such as turbulence or changes in the system geometry.