Converting between Covariant and Contravariant matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the contravariant components in polar coordinates for a given matrix. The solution attempted by the speaker was incorrect, and it is suggested to use the basis of polar coordinates instead of Cartesian coordinates. A reference to Leonard Susskind's lecture on general relativity is recommended for further understanding.
LoopQG

Homework Statement

Given a matrix {latex] A_11 =A_22 = 0 A_12 =A_21 = x/y +y/x [ /latex] Find the contravariant components in polar coordinates.

Answer:

[itex] A_11 = 2 A_22 = -2/r^2 A_12 = 2cot(2 /theta)/r [ /latex]

Homework Equations

I used the polar coordinates metric to raise indecies but i do not get the correct answer I get:

[itex] A^11 = A^22 = 0 A^12 = csc( /theta)sec( /theta) / r^4 A^21 = csc( /theta)sec( /theta) [ /latex]Any clue on what I am doing wrong?

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should use [ t e x ] and [ / t e x ] to write in tex.

What you forget (I think) is that you should give the matrix also in the basis of polar coordinates (i.e. d/dr and d/dθ) instead of d/dx and d/dy as you did.

Leonard Susskind does an example of this in lecture 3 of his general relativity lectures.

He does an example with polar coordinates at 1:37

It may be helpful

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Converting between Covariant and Contravariant matrices

1. What is the difference between a covariant and a contravariant matrix?

Covariant and contravariant matrices are used to represent linear transformations between two vector spaces. A covariant matrix represents a linear transformation from one vector space to another, while a contravariant matrix represents a linear transformation from the dual space of the first vector space to the dual space of the second vector space.

2. How do you convert a covariant matrix to a contravariant matrix?

To convert a covariant matrix to a contravariant matrix, you need to take the transpose of the matrix. This means that you need to switch the rows and columns of the matrix. The resulting matrix will be a contravariant matrix.

3. Can you convert a contravariant matrix to a covariant matrix?

Yes, you can convert a contravariant matrix to a covariant matrix by taking the transpose of the matrix. This will switch the rows and columns, resulting in a covariant matrix.

4. How do you know when to use a covariant or a contravariant matrix?

The choice between a covariant or a contravariant matrix depends on the type of linear transformation you are trying to represent. If the transformation is between two vector spaces, a covariant matrix should be used. If the transformation is between the dual spaces of two vector spaces, a contravariant matrix should be used.

5. Are there any other methods for converting between covariant and contravariant matrices?

Yes, there are other methods for converting between covariant and contravariant matrices, such as using basis vectors and dual basis vectors. However, taking the transpose of the matrix is the most commonly used method and is the most straightforward.