Converting a toy that runs on batteries to wall power

In summary, the individual was initially disappointed to find that their desired bubbly icon for their aquarium was not available due to lead-based paint concerns. However, they were excited by the challenge and decided to use a Big Daddy Toy with LED lights as the centerpiece. They plan to seal any cracks, add a bubbler, and wire a plug to power the lights. They are unsure of what mechanism to use to cycle between the three colors and have researched that they will need a 4.5 volt adapter. They also advise seeking help from someone with electrical qualifications to ensure safety.
ryanduty
In a desperate search to find a bubbly little icon for my aquarium, I came up disappointed and learned that nothing I grew up with was available anymore because it contained lead based paint. The disappointment quickly transformed into a challenge that got me excited.

I was looking at a volcano piece that bubbles and lights up (and yes, it's submersible). Although it was cool, it wasn't what I wanted. Being a BIOSHOCK fan, I just purchased a Big Daddy Toy with the intent to make it the center piece in my aquarium.

The Big Daddy has 3 LED lights (Red, Yellow, and Green) which are manually selected via a switch. They are powered by 3 AG13 batteries (1.5 volt each).

I can seal all cracks so water don't get in, drill some holes to hook up a bubbler, but wiring a plug to it is going to be the real challenge. I not only want to bypass the battery terminal and go direct, but I want it to gradually cycle between the 3 colors. There are 4 stages for the lights. (1=off, 2,3,4= either red, green, or yellow). I have no idea what to buy to control the cycle.

I have gathered from research that I will need a 4.5 volt adapter, but other than that I'm at a loss.

If the batteries are consuming 4.5 volts, will whatever mechanism that cycles the lights up my usage?
Sounds silly, but it'll be awesome if I can get it done.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In general mains voltage and water don't mix, get someone who has some electrical qualifications to help with this one, otherwise you might well end up with a tank of dead fish or a floor of dead you.

Related to Converting a toy that runs on batteries to wall power

1. How do I convert a battery-powered toy to run on wall power?

In order to convert a battery-powered toy to run on wall power, you will need to purchase a power adapter that matches the toy's voltage and polarity requirements. You will also need a soldering iron, solder, and electrical tape to make the necessary connections.

2. Can I use any power adapter for my toy?

No, it is important to use a power adapter that matches the toy's voltage and polarity requirements. Using the wrong adapter can damage the toy or cause it to malfunction.

3. What if I can't find a power adapter that matches my toy's requirements?

If you are unable to find a power adapter that matches your toy's requirements, you may need to purchase a universal adapter with adjustable voltage settings. However, it is important to double check the voltage and polarity before using it to avoid damaging the toy.

4. Can I still use batteries after converting my toy to run on wall power?

Yes, you can still use batteries even after converting your toy to run on wall power. However, it is important to disconnect the power adapter when using batteries to avoid overloading the toy.

5. Is it safe to convert a toy to run on wall power?

As long as you follow the instructions carefully and use the correct power adapter, converting a toy to run on wall power should be safe. However, it is always important to exercise caution when working with electricity and to unplug the toy when not in use.