Converting 2 mmol Nitrite to mg/l and ppm

• Thread starter caliban07
  • Start date
In summary: I don't understand what you are asking.In summary, it seems that converting 2 mmol of nitrite into mg/l and subsequently ppm which I believe is equal to mg/l is not as simple as google would lead one to believe. You should replace at least 50% of the water when nitrite levels exceed 1 ppm, and higher concentrations may be toxic to fish.
caliban07
Hello

Sorry to post here with what I believe will be a relatively simple response.

I am not a scientist but a fish keeper and would like to know how to convert 2 mmol of nitrite into mg/l and subsequently ppm which I believe is equal to mg/l

The molecular mass of nitrite is 46.01.

I tried to google this but the explanation was not clear cut enough for me to get m head around and work out for myself.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it to mean 2 mmol of nitrite per 1 lire?

If mass of one mole is 46.01 g, what is the mass of 2 millimoles?

Borek said:
I take it to mean 2 mmol of nitrite per 1 lire?

If mass of one mole is 46.01 g, what is the mass of 2 millimoles?
Yes. Is it that simple. I did think as much. I wanted to use this to argue my claims. Nitrite is toxic to fish. But a paper on the toxicity of nitrite to the zebra fish were using 2mmol before nitrites began harming and killing 50% of the stock. It did not say mmol/l. It read mmol-1 (-1 being super scripted)

Does this mean that 2mmol/l is 92.02 mg/l? That would be 92.02 ppm right.

In fish keeping people state that you should immediately replace at least 50% water when test results show >1ppm

From what I have learned about nitrites I don't believe this is at all necessary.

caliban07 said:
Yes. Is it that simple. I did think as much. I wanted to use this to argue my claims. Nitrite is toxic to fish. But a paper on the toxicity of nitrite to the zebra fish were using 2mmol before nitrites began harming and killing 50% of the stock.

LD50

It did not say mmol/l. It read mmol-1 (-1 being super scripted)

mmol-1 means just [itex]\frac 1 {mmol}[/itex] - but it is not concentration. mmoll-1 (note two l's) would mean [itex]\frac {mmol} l[/itex] (and this is concentration).

Does this mean that 2mmol/l is 92.02 mg/l? That would be 92.02 ppm right.

Yes.

In fish keeping people state that you should immediately replace at least 50% water when test results show >1ppm

From what I have learned about nitrites I don't believe this is at all necessary.

Hard to say - no idea how the LD50 was found (how long they waited). Could be lower concentrations are toxic as well, it just takes longer. Or fish don't die, but they are not able to reproduce.

Borek said:
LD50
mmol-1 means just [itex]\frac 1 {mmol}[/itex] - but it is not concentration. mmoll-1 (note two l's) would mean [itex]\frac {mmol} l[/itex] (and this is concentration).
Yes.
Hard to say - no idea how the LD50 was found (how long they waited). Could be lower concentrations are toxic as well, it just takes longer. Or fish don't die, but they are not able to reproduce.
They were talking in LC50 not LD50 or LDt50 although time was a factor. Apparently fish have reductase cells that begin to combat the formation of methemoglobin in blood cells so I think once a balance is achieved between formation and reduction this would leave a percentage of methemoglobin in the cell. This percentage may not necessarily be detrimental to the fish.

I'm not saying nitrites should not be taken seriously. I just think some people over react. This works in favour of companies like Seachem that create a product called prime that detoxifies nitrites. A bit of scaremongering and they fly off the shelves.

Maybe you could interpret the article better than me?

http://m.jeb.biologists.org/content/210/19/3387.short

Or the abstract in this article if you can spare the time. This one is over 96 how's but the units mg-1 SUP IMP -1 don't mean anything to me. I can't convert that as an expression that I can relate to such as ppm if at all possible.

No idea what you are talking about. Abstract refers to concentrations given as mmol l-1, which - as I already told you - means [itex]\frac {mmol} l[/itex].

Borek said:
No idea what you are talking about. Abstract refers to concentrations given as mmol l-1, which - as I already told you - means [itex]\frac {mmol} l[/itex].
What is [/itex]?

Borek said:
Just a tag that makes LaTeX formula to render properly. Compare https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

Or is it not rendering for you? If so, sorry for confusion, but there is no better way to show some formulas.
I don't think it is rendering. Even the link provided still shows itex etc.

Never mind. Is there anyway you can tell me what me what 242 mg•1 to the minus 1 is in parts per million or are you saying that this value is not a concentration but rather a quantity?

Sorry if you have already told me. It just isn't making sense.

Concentration is the amount of the substance per the amount of the mixture. The way of expressing the amount of the substance and the way of expressing the amount of the mixture just changes units, but not the general idea that concentration must be a ratio.

mmol*l-1 is just another way of stating mmol/l (note: it is small l as in liter, not 1). a-1 means 1/a, that's how raising to power works.

So if you want any of the numbers listed to mean concentration, it must be a ratio. 242 mg/l (and not 242 mg*1-1) means 242 mg in 1 liter of solution. As mass of 1 liter of water is close to 1 kg it will typically mean 242 mg per 1 kg, or 242 parts per million - ppm (here it is 242 mg - amount of substance - per 1 million of mg of the mixture, so it follows the idea of the concentration being expressed as a ratio).

Borek said:
Concentration is the amount of the substance per the amount of the mixture. The way of expressing the amount of the substance and the way of expressing the amount of the mixture just changes units, but not the general idea that concentration must be a ratio.

mmol*l-1 is just another way of stating mmol/l (note: it is small l as in liter, not 1). a-1 means 1/a, that's how raising to power works.

So if you want any of the numbers listed to mean concentration, it must be a ratio. 242 mg/l (and not 242 mg*1-1) means 242 mg in 1 liter of solution. As mass of 1 liter of water is close to 1 kg it will typically mean 242 mg per 1 kg, or 242 parts per million - ppm (here it is 242 mg - amount of substance - per 1 million of mg of the mixture, so it follows the idea of the concentration being expressed as a ratio).
Thank you this makes much more sense. So it looks like I was confusing lower case L with a 1 as they look so similar!

Related to Converting 2 mmol Nitrite to mg/l and ppm

1. How do I convert 2 mmol Nitrite to mg/l?

To convert from mmol Nitrite to mg/l, you will need to know the molar mass of Nitrite, which is 46.00 g/mol. Then, use the following formula:
2 mmol Nitrite x (46.00 g/mol / 1 mmol Nitrite) x (1 L / 1000 mL) = 0.092 mg/l

2. Can you explain the conversion process from mmol Nitrite to ppm?

To convert from mmol Nitrite to ppm, you will need to know the molecular weight of Nitrite, which is 46.00 g/mol. Then, use the following formula:
2 mmol Nitrite x (46.00 g/mol / 1 mmol Nitrite) x (1 ppm / 1 mg/l) = 0.092 ppm

3. What is the difference between mg/l and ppm?

Both mg/l and ppm are units of concentration, but they differ in the way they are expressed. Mg/l is a unit of mass per volume, while ppm is a unit of mass per mass. This means that mg/l represents the amount of a substance in milligrams per liter of solution, while ppm represents the amount of a substance in parts per million by weight.

4. Do I need to convert from mmol Nitrite to mg/l and ppm for all types of solutions?

No, the conversion from mmol Nitrite to mg/l and ppm is specific to solutions where the concentration is given in mmol units. If the concentration is given in another unit, such as mg/l or ppm, then no conversion is necessary.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when converting between units of concentration?

In addition to the units of concentration, it is important to also consider the temperature and pressure at which the solution is measured. Changes in temperature and pressure can affect the volume and density of the solution, which can impact the concentration calculations. It is important to ensure that all measurements are taken under the same conditions to ensure accurate conversions.