Convert to a equation in RECTANGULAR coordinates

In summary: I think that's the issue. You converted the polar equation $r = 2\sin\theta$ into the rectangular equation $x^2 + (y - 1)^2 = 1$, which is in terms of $x$ and $y$, so it's correct.In summary, the conversation is about converting a polar equation to an equation in rectangular coordinates. The correct equation is x^2 + (y - 1)^2 = 1. The confusion arose because the term "rectangular coordinates" refers to the use of x and y axes, not a specific point.
shamieh
What am I doing wrong?

Convert \(\displaystyle r = 2sin\theta\) to an equation in rectangular coordinates..

\(\displaystyle x^2 +y^2 = r^2\)
\(\displaystyle x^2 + y^2 = 2y\)
\(\displaystyle x^2 + y^2 - 2y = 0\)
\(\displaystyle x^2 + y^2 - 2y - 1 = 1\)
\(\displaystyle x^2 + (y-1)^2 = 1\)

Coordinates are \(\displaystyle (0,1)\) yes?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
What am I doing wrong?

Convert \(\displaystyle r = 2sin\theta\) to an equation in rectangular coordinates..

\(\displaystyle x^2 +y^2 = r^2\)
\(\displaystyle x^2 + y^2 = 2y\)
\(\displaystyle x^2 + y^2 - 2y = 0\)
\(\displaystyle x^2 + y^2 - 2y - 1 = 1\)
\(\displaystyle x^2 + (y-1)^2 = 1\)

Coordinates are \(\displaystyle (0,1)\) yes?
Typo on line 4...should be \(\displaystyle x^2 + y^2 - 2y + 1 = 1\), otherwise it's just fine.

Coordinates for what? You're picking out the center of the circle, which is just fine, but why are you doing that? Was there more to the question?

-Dan

topsquark said:
Typo on line 4...should be \(\displaystyle x^2 + y^2 - 2y + 1 = 1\), otherwise it's just fine.

Coordinates for what? You're picking out the center of the circle, which is just fine, but why are you doing that? Was there more to the question?

-Dan

Exactly as I typed is what it asked, So I'm very confused what the answer is? Should it just be (0,1) the question said to convert it into rectangular coordinates?

shamieh said:
Exactly as I typed is what it asked, So I'm very confused what the answer is? Should it just be (0,1) the question said to convert it into rectangular coordinates?
Your equation in rectangular coordinates is \(\displaystyle x^2 + (y - 1)^2 = 1\). That is the solution to the question you wrote in your first post.

Is there an answer key or something? How do you know that you got it wrong?

-Dan

$r = 2\sin\theta$

Convert using:

$r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}$

$\sin\theta = \dfrac{y}{r}$

$\sqrt{x^2 + y^2} = 2\dfrac{y}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}$

$x^2 + y^2 = 2y$

Complete the square:

$x^2 + y^2 - 2y + 1 = 1$

$x^2 + (y - 1)^2 = 1$

"Rectangular coordinates" means in terms of $x$ and $y$ (the rectangular axes, that are perpendicular to each other), it doesn't mean "some specific coordinates" (a point $(a,b)$).

Related to Convert to a equation in RECTANGULAR coordinates

What are RECTANGULAR coordinates?

RECTANGULAR coordinates, also known as Cartesian coordinates, are a system of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using two perpendicular lines, typically labeled as the x-axis and y-axis.

How do you convert to an equation in RECTANGULAR coordinates?

To convert to an equation in RECTANGULAR coordinates, you need to identify the x and y coordinates of a point on the graph and plug them into the standard form of the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. This will give you the equation in the form of y = mx + b.

What is the difference between RECTANGULAR and POLAR coordinates?

The main difference between RECTANGULAR and POLAR coordinates is the way they represent points on a graph. RECTANGULAR coordinates use two perpendicular lines, while POLAR coordinates use a point and angle to describe a point's location.

How do you graph an equation in RECTANGULAR coordinates?

To graph an equation in RECTANGULAR coordinates, you need to plot several points on the graph by choosing different values for x and solving for y. Once you have enough points, connect them with a straight line to create the graph of the equation.

What are some real-life applications of RECTANGULAR coordinates?

RECTANGULAR coordinates are used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and navigation. They are commonly used to represent the position of objects in space, map out routes for travel, and in computer graphics to create 3D images.