Convert the polar equation into rectangular coordinates

In summary, the equation r^2= 2cos^2 θ+3sin^2θ can be rewritten as (r^2)^2= 2(r cos θ)^2+ 3(r sin θ)^2, using the fact that x=rcos θ and y= rsin θ. This can be useful when solving for r or when simplifying expressions involving r. However, replacing r with x and y directly in the original equation is not correct.
louie3006

Homework Statement

r^2= 2cos^2 θ+3sin^2θ

Homework Equations

X= r cosθ
y= r sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

√r=√2cos^2 θ+3sin^2θ
r = 2 cos θ+ 3 sin θ
r = 2x + 2 y.
I doubt that i even got close to the correct answer so I like to ask anyone who knows how to deal with this type of equation, Did I make the right moves ( steps ) or did messed it all up ?and if i did, will you please help ( guide ) me to the right way to correct way of doing these type of equations. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \neq a + b[/tex]
√r=√2cos^2 θ+3sin^2θ
r = 2 cos θ+ 3 sin θ
r = 2x + 2 y

I see what you did in your first equation, but the second one doesn't follow from the first, for the reason I gave above. The third doesn't follow from the second.

The relationship is x = rcos θ and y = rsin θ. How did you go from the second equation to the third?

Rather than take square root of both sides, start making replacements using the polar equivalents for x and y. Also, there is a useful formula involving x, y, and r.

i know that r =X^2+ Y^2
and what i basically did in the 3rd equation was that i plugged in x instead of Cos θ and Y for Sin θ.

louie3006 said:
i know that r =X^2+ Y^2
and what i basically did in the 3rd equation was that i plugged in x instead of Cos θ and Y for Sin θ.

But x isn't Cos θ : it's r*Cos θ or, in terms of x and y [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\cos \theta[/tex] and so [tex] \cos \theta=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex] ...how about Sin θ?

louie3006 said:
i know that r =X^2+ Y^2
Then you know something that isn't true, so isn't really worth knowing.

Mark44 said:
Then you know something that isn't true, so isn't really worth knowing.

okay that was kinda harsh! But he's right, you're forgetting something in that r [tex]\neq[/tex] x2+y2 what does r equal? Or maybe, what does r2 equal? :wink:

louie3006 said:

Homework Statement

r^2= 2cos^2 θ+3sin^2θ
Multiplying on both sides by [itex]r^2[/itex] gives [itex]r^4= 2r^2cos^2 \theta+ 3r^2 sin^2 \theta[/itex] or [itex](r^2)^2= 2(r cos \theta)^2+ 3(r sin \theta)^2[/itex].

Homework Equations

X= r cosθ
y= r sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

√r=√2cos^2 θ+3sin^2θ
r = 2 cos θ+ 3 sin θ
r = 2x + 2 y.
I doubt that i even got close to the correct answer so I like to ask anyone who knows how to deal with this type of equation, Did I make the right moves ( steps ) or did messed it all up ?and if i did, will you please help ( guide ) me to the right way to correct way of doing these type of equations. thanks in advance.

Related to Convert the polar equation into rectangular coordinates

1. What is the general process for converting a polar equation into rectangular coordinates?

The general process for converting a polar equation into rectangular coordinates involves using the trigonometric identities x = r cosθ and y = r sinθ to replace r and θ in the polar equation with x and y, respectively.

2. Can all polar equations be converted into rectangular coordinates?

Yes, all polar equations can be converted into rectangular coordinates using the aforementioned trigonometric identities.

3. Are there any limitations to converting a polar equation into rectangular coordinates?

One limitation is that converting a polar equation with a negative value for r will result in a reflection across the origin in the rectangular coordinate system.

4. How is the graph of a polar equation affected by converting it into rectangular coordinates?

Converting a polar equation into rectangular coordinates can change the shape of the graph, as it involves a different representation of the same equation. However, the overall behavior and characteristics of the graph will remain the same.

5. Can I convert a rectangular equation into polar coordinates?

Yes, it is possible to convert a rectangular equation into polar coordinates using the inverse of the trigonometric identities mentioned earlier, r = √(x2 + y2) and θ = tan-1(y/x).