Convert Mol/cm3 to PPMV: Pressure & Temp Considerations

• Thread starter sneez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary, to convert mol/cm3 into ppmv, you need to know the pressure and temperature. Ppmv stands for parts per million per volume and is commonly used with gases. To convert, you need to multiply ppm by 1.0e6 and use the equation ppmv = (gas rho / air rho) * 1.0e6, where gas rho is calculated using the formula P/(kT) and everything should be converted into SI units.
sneez
I need to convert mol/cm3 into ppmv

how would i go about that if i know pressure and temperature ?

any leads ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's "ppmv"? I have a hunch it comes from "parts per million",bt what does "v" stand for ?

1 mol/cm^3 is the cgs unit for concentration.

Daniel.

parts per milion per volume , you just multiply ppm by 1.0e6

Are you using ppmv with gasses? A google shows that this appears to be the standard usage.

http://www.ch4.org.uk/glossary.php/Ppmv?term=p

has the usage info,

http://www.rotronic-usa.com/datasheets/Ref/Def/ppm_v.htm

has some sample calculations of how the term is used (with gasses).

If the term is being used for something other than gasses, the approach in the second url probably won't work - but I think it would be a bad idea to use the term for anything other than gasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i can work with that. Thanx a much

I hope u realize you can't make that conversion

dim (mol/cm^3)= S V^{-1}

dim (ppmv)=V^{-1}

Daniel.

yeah i had to convert everything into SI units.

ppmv=[(Gas rho) /(air rho) ] * 1.0e6

Gas rho = P/(kT) from P=nkT

thanx very much guys

Related to Convert Mol/cm3 to PPMV: Pressure & Temp Considerations

1. How do you convert mol/cm3 to PPMV?

The conversion from mol/cm3 to PPMV (parts per million by volume) is dependent on the specific gas or substance being measured. However, in general, the formula for this conversion is:

PPMV = (mol/cm3) * (22.4 L/mol) * (10^(-6) cm3/mL)

2. What is the importance of considering pressure and temperature in this conversion?

Pressure and temperature play a crucial role in the conversion from mol/cm3 to PPMV because they affect the volume of the gas. To accurately convert between the two units, the pressure and temperature at which the measurement was taken must also be known and taken into account.

3. Can this conversion be used for any gas or substance?

No, the conversion from mol/cm3 to PPMV is specific to each gas or substance. This is because the formula takes into account the molar volume of the gas, which is unique to each gas. Therefore, the conversion factor will differ for each gas or substance.

4. Is there a standard reference pressure and temperature for this conversion?

Yes, the standard reference pressure and temperature for this conversion is 1 atmosphere (atm) and 0 degrees Celsius (°C) or 273.15 Kelvin (K). These values are commonly used in scientific calculations and measurements.

5. What are some real-world applications of converting mol/cm3 to PPMV?

The conversion from mol/cm3 to PPMV is commonly used in environmental science and industrial processes. For example, it can be used to measure the concentration of pollutants in the air or to determine the amount of a certain gas in a mixture. It is also useful in determining the amount of a substance present in a liquid solution.