Convert kW to HP: Quick & Easy Guide

• Thread starter SwAnK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversation is about converting kilowatts into horsepower. Daniel asks for the definition of horsepower and if there is a direct way to convert from kilowatts to horsepower. The person responds with a definition of horsepower in the metric system and states that they don't want to know about the other system of units. Daniel eventually finds the conversion rate to be 1.34 and asks for the reason behind it, but the person doesn't know. They only needed the conversion for a specific question.
SwAnK
hey, i just need to know how to convert kilowatts into horsepower.
thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of the horsepower...?

Daniel.

we werent, given the definition of the horsepower. it stated find the power in kilowatts and convert to horsepower.
horsepower is 1lb is equal to 550ft-lb/s??
is there not anyway to go straight from kilowatts to horsepower?

Last edited:
I don't know your system of units &,frankly,i don't want to know about it.In the metric system,the horsepower is the power of the mechanical system that lifts 75Kg to a height of 1m in one second...

Daniel.

nevermind, that was no help at all, i finally found what i was looking for.
to convert kilowatts into horsepower multiply kilowatts by1.34

Last edited:
Why?Did u find out the reason for doing so??

Daniel.

no, i just needed to convert kilowatts into horspower and just needed to know how for this question i was doing.

Okay,if u were interested only in the result & not in the method,it's alright,i guess...

Daniel.

Related to Convert kW to HP: Quick & Easy Guide

1. How do I convert kW to HP?

To convert kW to HP, simply multiply the value in kW by 1.341. This will give you the equivalent value in horsepower (HP).

2. Why do we need to convert kW to HP?

Converting kW to HP is useful for comparing the power output of different engines or machines. While kW is used in the metric system, HP is often used in the imperial system. Converting between the two units allows for easier comparison and understanding.

3. Can I convert HP to kW using the same formula?

Yes, to convert HP to kW, simply multiply the value in HP by 0.7457. This will give you the equivalent value in kilowatts (kW).

4. Are kW and HP interchangeable?

No, kW and HP are not interchangeable units of measurement. They represent different systems of power measurement and have different conversion factors. However, they can be easily converted to one another using the appropriate conversion formula.

5. Is there a quick and easy way to convert kW to HP without a calculator?

Yes, there are several online converters and mobile apps that can quickly and accurately convert kW to HP and vice versa. These tools can be very helpful for quick conversions without the need for a calculator or manual calculation.