Convert absorption coefficient units between Hitran, Lifbase

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of converting units between Hitran and Lifbase for calculating absorption coefficients. The suggested conversion formula is provided, but it is noted that the magnitude of the absorption coefficient should not be affected by the units used. Possible reasons for the discrepancies in the coefficients are suggested, such as errors in calculations or other variables affecting the data.
SK1.618
Hi,

I have some modelling code that uses data from Hitran 2012 (https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/hitran/Download/HITRAN2012.pdf). I want to use some data from Lifbase but unfortunately the absorption coefficient units do not match.

Lifbase units are given in m3 J-1 s-2 whereas Hitran units are given as cm-1 / (molecule cm-2).

Some simple calculations arrives at the following conversion between the two:

[Hitran units] = ( M_r / (100 * N_A) ) * [Lifbase units]

where M_r is the molecular mass of the species and N_A is Avogadro's constant.

For some reason this does not seem to be correct. The absorption coefficients are out by a few orders of magnitude. Is my conversion correct?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made a good effort in trying to convert the units between Hitran and Lifbase. However, it is important to note that the absorption coefficient is a measure of the intensity of absorption, and is not dependent on the units used for its calculation. Therefore, the conversion between the units should not affect the magnitude of the absorption coefficient.

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and also making sure that you are using the correct values for molecular mass and Avogadro's constant. If the absorption coefficients are still significantly different, it is possible that there may be other factors at play, such as different experimental conditions or data sources. In that case, it may be helpful to consult with experts in the field or refer to other literature for comparison.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Convert absorption coefficient units between Hitran, Lifbase

1. What are Hitran and Lifbase?

Hitran and Lifbase are databases used by scientists to store and access information about molecular absorption spectra. They contain data on the absorption coefficients of different molecules at various wavelengths and temperatures.

2. How do I convert absorption coefficient units between Hitran and Lifbase?

The absorption coefficient units in Hitran are typically reported in cm-1 (inverse centimeters), while those in Lifbase are often given in m2/molecule (square meters per molecule). To convert between these units, you can use the formula: 1 cm-1 = 1 x 10-4 m2/molecule.

3. Can I convert absorption coefficients for any molecule between Hitran and Lifbase?

Hitran and Lifbase contain data on different molecules, so it is important to make sure that the molecule you are converting has data available in both databases. If not, the conversion cannot be accurately performed.

4. Is there a tool or software available for converting absorption coefficients between Hitran and Lifbase?

Yes, there are several online tools and software programs available that can perform the conversion for you. Some popular options include Hitran Online, Lifbase Converter, and SpecConverter.

5. Can I convert between absorption coefficient units for different temperatures?

Yes, you can convert between absorption coefficient units for different temperatures by using the appropriate temperature-dependent conversion factors. These factors can be found in the Hitran and Lifbase databases or through a conversion tool.