Convert 17,660 ft/min to mi/hr: Math Error?

• Thread starter cwalker8184
  • Start date
In summary, to convert 17,660 ft/min to mi/hr, you should first multiply by 1 mile/5280 ft, which gives 3.345 mi/min. Then, multiply by 1 hr/60 min to get the final answer of 0.056 mi/hr. It is important to use the correct form of "1" in these unit conversions to ensure the units cancel out correctly.
cwalker8184
Convert 17,660 ft/min to mi/hr, ft= feet, min=minutes, mi=miles, hr=hours
I first divided 17,660 feet per minute by 5280 ft then divided that quantity by 60 minutes and got 0.06 miles per hour. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
cwalker8184 said:
Convert 17,660 ft/min to mi/hr, ft= feet, min=minutes, mi=miles, hr=hours
I first divided 17,660 feet per minute by 5280 ft then divided that quantity by 60 minutes and got 0.06 miles per hour. What did I do wrong?

When doing unit conversions, I find it best to keep multiplying by "1". You did the first part of the conversion correctly:

17,660 ft/min * (1 mile / 5280 ft) = 3.345 mile/min

But in the second part, what form of "1" should you multiply by to get to mile/hr?

EDIT -- Keep in mind that by multplying by "1", your goal is to cancel out like units on the top and bottom of the fraction...

always write it out before start keying into calculator.

Related to Convert 17,660 ft/min to mi/hr: Math Error?

1. What does "Convert 17,660 ft/min to mi/hr" mean?

This phrase is asking for the conversion of a speed measured in feet per minute to miles per hour. It is a common request in math and science when dealing with different units of measurement.

2. How do I convert units of speed?

To convert units of speed, you need to use a conversion factor. In this case, since we are going from ft/min to mi/hr, we need to use the conversion factor of 1 mi = 5,280 ft and 1 hr = 60 min. This means that 1 mi/hr = 5,280 ft/60 min = 88 ft/min. To convert 17,660 ft/min, we can multiply it by the conversion factor of 1 mi/88 ft to get 17,660 ft/min x 1 mi/88 ft = 200.68 mi/hr.

3. Why is there a "Math Error" in the phrase?

The phrase includes "Math Error" because the conversion from ft/min to mi/hr is not a simple conversion. It requires multiple steps and the use of a conversion factor. If the conversion is not done correctly, it can result in a math error.

4. Can I use a calculator to convert units of speed?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert units of speed. Just make sure to enter the conversion factor correctly and check your units to ensure the correct conversion.

5. Is converting units of speed important in science?

Yes, converting units of speed is an important skill in science and math. It allows us to compare and analyze data measured in different units and make accurate calculations. It also helps us communicate results and information in a standardized way.