How Do You Determine Object Location and Magnification in a Concave Mirror?

In summary: Focal length is the distance from the center of a mirror to the object you are trying to see. The closer the focal length, the more magnification you will see.
KingNothing
Well, here is the problem:

A girl has her 2-cm high eye 12 cm directly in front of a concave mascara mirror or focal length 18 cm. Where is the object located, and what is the magnification?

I'm really lost on this one.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized this would be better suited for the homework help k12 forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
mirror equation

I presume that her eye is the object and that you are trying to find where the image is.

You'll need the lens/mirror equation:
[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{o} + \frac{1}{i}[/tex]

And you'll also need the linear magnification:
[tex]M = -\frac{i}{o}[/tex]

To understand what these mean, and how to use the sign conventions, read your text. Give it a try.

Just in case your text uses the same variable names as the one we used to study this, Doc Al' [tex]o[/tex] signifies the distance of the object from the mirror and [tex]i[/tex] signifies the distance of the image from the mirror. Sometimes they are replaced by [tex]u[/tex] and [tex]v[/tex] repsectively, so your formula might look like this:

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{u} + \frac{1}{v}[/tex]

Okay, thanks chen and doc al.
I didn't have those equations, and didn't have access to the text (end of the year, books had been turned in already).

So I did use the right equation...good.

Thanks Chen for the variables thing, honestly, thanks.

Don't forget, when doing concave mirrors/converging lens, focal length is always positive.
When doing convex mirrors/diverging lens, focal length is always negative.

*Just in case you were doing similar problems involving mirrosrs

1. What is a concave mirror?

A concave mirror is a type of spherical mirror with a reflective surface that curves inward, causing incoming parallel light rays to converge at a single point called the focal point.

2. How do you solve a concave mirror problem?

To solve a concave mirror problem, you need to use the mirror equation: 1/f = 1/di + 1/do, where f is the focal length of the mirror, di is the image distance, and do is the object distance. You also need to know the magnification equation: M = -di/do. With these equations, you can calculate the image distance, object distance, and magnification of the image formed by the concave mirror.

3. What is the difference between a real and a virtual image in a concave mirror problem?

A real image is formed when the light rays actually converge at a single point, and the image can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image is formed when the light rays appear to converge at a single point, but they do not actually intersect. A concave mirror can produce both real and virtual images, depending on the position of the object.

4. How does the position of the object affect the image produced by a concave mirror?

The position of the object affects the image produced by a concave mirror in three ways: it determines whether the image will be real or virtual, it affects the size of the image, and it determines the distance between the object and the image.

5. What is the difference between a concave mirror and a convex mirror?

The main difference between a concave mirror and a convex mirror is the shape of their reflective surfaces. A concave mirror curves inward and can produce both real and virtual images, while a convex mirror curves outward and can only produce virtual images. Additionally, a concave mirror can magnify and invert images, while a convex mirror can only reduce the size of an image and make it appear upright.