Conversion from Polar to Cartesian equations

In summary, polar coordinates can be converted to Cartesian using equations x=r\cos\theta and y=r\sin\theta. For the given question, part b) can be converted to the equation of a circle with center (0,a) and radius a. It is important to understand how to derive these formulas rather than just memorizing them. Refer to the provided link for a visual representation of the conversion process.
Helena54321
I just did a quiz in a lecture and walked out crying. There was one question (which probably seems very easy to most :/ ) were you had to convert polar equations to cartesian ones. We also had to draw the cartesian graphs (2D).

a) rcos(th)
b)r=2asin(th)
c)r^2sin2(th)=2k
d)rsin(th+(pi/4))=a2^(1/2)

th=theta.

In our lecture notes for this course we have derivations for conversion from cylindrical-cartesian (3D) and spherical-cylindrical. (-=either way)

But when it comes to 2D cartesian and polar I'm like ?. I have no clue what to do. I know a) is a straight line where x=a and b) is a circle but only because my friend told me. I understand a) but none of the rest.

I feel quite lost. How do I approach polar and cartesian egtn conversions?? Thank you!

Helena. First year undergrad at The Chinese uni of Hong Kong x x x nd feeling quite lost! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, polar coordinates can be converted to Cartesian using these equations:

[tex]x=r\cos\theta[/tex]

[tex]y=r\sin\theta[/tex]

[tex]r^2=x^2+y^2[/tex]

So, for the part b) you have

[tex]r=2a\sin\theta[/tex]

[tex]r^2=2ay[/tex]

[tex]x^2+y^2-2ay=0[/tex]

[tex]x^2+(y^2-2ay+a^2)=a^2[/tex]

[tex]x^2+(y-a)^2=a^2[/tex]

Now, the last equation is implicit equation of a circle with center in [itex](0,a)[/itex] and radius [itex]a[/itex].

Try to do similar manipulations with other parts of the question and see what you can get.

Instead of just memorizing the formula conversions (though it is so common in physics that you'll eventually know them by heart), the most important thing is to know how to derive them.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_...rting_between_polar_and_Cartesian_coordinates and take a look specially in the graph in the right side of the page. This is what you have to do in order to reach the formula and this is precisely what they asked you to do in your test. It's very important to understand the graph, which isn't more complicated than applying Pytharogas' theorem.

Related to Conversion from Polar to Cartesian equations

1. What is the purpose of converting from polar to Cartesian equations?

The purpose of converting from polar to Cartesian equations is to represent a point in a two-dimensional coordinate system using different coordinates. This conversion allows for easier visualization and calculation of geometric shapes and equations.

2. What is the formula for converting from polar to Cartesian equations?

The formula for converting from polar to Cartesian equations is x = r * cos(theta) and y = r * sin(theta), where r is the radius and theta is the angle in the polar coordinates.

3. Can all polar equations be converted to Cartesian equations?

Yes, all polar equations can be converted to Cartesian equations. However, some equations may result in complex or undefined solutions in the Cartesian system.

4. How do you plot a polar equation after converting to Cartesian?

After converting a polar equation to Cartesian, you can plot the equation by substituting different values for x and solving for y. These points can then be plotted on a Cartesian plane to create the graph of the equation.

5. Are there any advantages to using Cartesian coordinates over polar coordinates?

There are several advantages to using Cartesian coordinates over polar coordinates. Cartesian coordinates are more commonly used and easier to visualize, making them useful in many applications including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Additionally, Cartesian coordinates allow for easier calculation of distance, angles, and other geometric properties.