All Segways recalled: Big Bummer

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Segway L.L.C. have announced a recall of all 6,000 Segways due to a tipping issue when the battery is low and the rider makes sudden movements. This has caused 3 injuries out of the 6,000 sold. The problem lies with the gyro, which loses its ability when the battery is low. This has given the Segway a negative image and may disappoint the inventor, Dean Kamen.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
All Segways recalled: Big Bummer!

The Consumer Product Safety Commission and Segway L.L.C. announced a recall yesterday of all 6,000 Segways, which, the announcement said, tend to tip forward when the batteries are low and the rider does something that requires a quick burst of power, like speeding up abruptly or trying to bump over an obstacle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/27/national/27SEGW.html?ex=1065326400&en=570465582dc6c345&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ya, freaking bunch of sissies. Well, actually, as I understood, there have been 3 injuries out of the 6000 sold.

It has a problem with tipping with a low battery because it is stabilized by a gyro, which, is a powered device.

The battery gets low, the gyro loses its ability, and well, 2+2=you fall on the ground.

I mean, how many people get hurt on roller skates, or heck, just walking in general.

I know I've twisted my ankle twice this year, just walking. All the crazy stuff I do, and I get hurt walking.

this is a real bummer for the proponents of the Segway, as the Segways now have a bad image -- the image of being recalled, and, even worse, as unsafe.

dean kamen must be pissed.

What is the reason behind the recall of all Segways?

The recall of all Segways is due to a software glitch that can cause the scooter to suddenly accelerate, potentially causing harm to the rider.

Is this recall a voluntary action by the company or mandated by a government agency?

This recall is a voluntary action taken by the company in order to ensure the safety of their customers.

How many Segways are affected by this recall?

The recall affects all Segway PT models produced since 2013, totaling around 100,000 units.

What should owners of affected Segways do?

Owners of affected Segways should immediately stop using their scooters and contact the company for a free software update to fix the issue.

Are there any reported incidents or injuries related to this software glitch?

Yes, there have been 14 reported incidents of the software glitch causing injuries, including broken bones and head trauma.