Converse of Pythagorean Theorem

In summary, the triangle with the given vertices is a right triangle, and the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the lengths of the sides.
mathdad
Determine if the triangle with the given vertices is a right triangle.

(7, -1), (-3, 5), (-12, -10)

I must find the lengths of the sides using the distance formula for points on the xy-plane.

The question then tells me to use the converse of the Pythagorean theorem.

How do I use this theorem? What does the theorem say?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Pythagorean theorem states that, given a right-angled triangle, the sum of the squares of the lengths of the two legs is equal to the square of the hypotenuse. That is, if the legs are a and b and the hypotenuse is c then

$$a^2+b^2=c^2$$

The converse is also true; that is, if the lengths of two sides of a triangle, when squared and added together, are equal to the square of the length of the third side then the triangle is right angled.

Alternately, since no point shares a corresponding coordinate with any other, you can check to see if any of the 3 possible pairs of line segments have slopes whose product is -1. :D

Just a fun fact, the reverse of the Pythagorean is a way that builders ensure that walls are properly perpendicular to each other.
Put up strings of 3, 4, and 5 meters in a triangle, and we can build perpendicular walls along those strings.
Or 30, 40, and 50 meters for that matter.
We can't do that with a measuring triangle, since that is too small.

After finding the lengths of all 3 sides, I can let a = length 1, b = length 2 and c = length 3.

(length 1)^2 + (length 2)^2 = (length 3)^2

Correct?

RTCNTC said:
After finding the lengths of all 3 sides, I can let a = length 1, b = length 2 and c = length 3.

(length 1)^2 + (length 2)^2 = (length 3)^2

Correct?
It helps to know that the hypotenuse, if this is a right triangle, is always the largest of the three sides and that which of the other two sides you call "a" and "b" is irrelevant so you know which to call "a", "b", and "c".

Should it be |a|^2 + |b|^2 = |c|^2?

I am going to work it out and post my complete work when time allows.

RTCNTC said:
Should it be |a|^2 + |b|^2 = |c|^2?

I am going to work it out and post my complete work when time allows.

a, b and c will be distances obtained from using the distance formula, and so will be non-negative to begin with. :D

Thank you everyone.

Related to Converse of Pythagorean Theorem

1. What is the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem?

The converse of the Pythagorean Theorem is a statement that reverses the original theorem. Instead of stating that if a triangle is a right triangle, then the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, the converse states that if the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, then the triangle is a right triangle.

2. How is the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem used?

The converse of the Pythagorean Theorem is used to determine if a triangle is a right triangle. If the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, then the triangle is a right triangle. This can be helpful in geometry problems where you need to identify the type of triangle.

3. Can the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem be proven?

Yes, the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can be proven using the same logic and steps as the original theorem. However, it is important to note that the converse is a separate statement and cannot be used interchangeably with the original theorem.

4. How is the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem related to the Pythagorean Theorem?

The converse of the Pythagorean Theorem is related to the original theorem because it is a reversed statement of the same concept. The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. The converse states that if the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, then the triangle is a right triangle.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem?

Yes, the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can be used in real-life applications such as construction and engineering. For example, engineers can use the converse to determine if a corner of a building is a right angle by measuring the sides and checking if the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.