Converging lens test question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of image distance and image height for an object placed 20 cm from a converging lens with a 10 cm focal length. The homework equations used are the thin lens equation and diagrams. However, there is not enough information given to find the image height and it is suggested that the question may have been referring to magnification instead.
kikko

Homework Statement

There is an object 20 cm from a converging lens with a 10 cm focal length.

Homework Equations

Is the image upright or inverted?
Calculate the image distance.
Calculate the image height.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just had this on a college test in a testing center, I could find the first two with the thin lens equation and diagrams, not sure how I was supposed to get the last. I feel some info was missing, like object height. Any way my feeling was wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your feeling wasn't wrong since there is not enough information to find the image height.For this question the image height equals the object height (magnification equals one) but the object height was not given.

Hi kikko.

I agree, there's not enough information for an absolute answer, but you could give a relative answer, like, 2 × the object height, or 1/3 the object height or the same as the object height.

Dadface said:
Your feeling wasn't wrong since there is not enough information to find the image height.For this question the image height equals the object height (magnification equals one) but the object height was not given.

its possible that they meant magnification, because i had a similar problem on midterms when i was in optics

I would approach this problem by first understanding the basics of converging lenses and their properties. I would then use the thin lens equation, which states that 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance.

Based on the given information, we know that f = 10 cm and do = 20 cm. By substituting these values into the equation, we can solve for di. This will give us the image distance, which is the distance from the lens to the image formed.

To determine if the image is upright or inverted, we can use the sign convention for lenses. A converging lens has a positive focal length, so the image distance will also be positive. If the image distance is positive, then the image is real and inverted. If the image distance is negative, then the image is virtual and upright.

Lastly, to calculate the image height, we need to use the magnification equation, which is given by M = -di/do. By substituting the values for di and do, we can calculate the magnification. The image height is then given by the product of the magnification and the object height.

In conclusion, with the given information, we can determine that the image formed by the converging lens is real and inverted, with an image distance of 6.67 cm and a magnification of -0.33. Without knowing the object height, we cannot calculate the exact image height, but we can determine its relative size compared to the object.

Related to Converging lens test question

What is a converging lens?

A converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner on the edges. It is also known as a convex lens and has the ability to bend light rays towards a central point, known as the focal point.

How do you test a converging lens?

To test a converging lens, you can use a few different methods. One way is to place an object in front of the lens and observe the image that is formed on the other side. If the image is real, inverted, and smaller than the object, the lens is functioning correctly. Another method is to shine a light through the lens and observe the focal point. If the light converges to a single point, the lens is working properly.

What is the focal length of a converging lens?

The focal length of a converging lens is the distance between the lens and its focal point. It is a measure of how strongly the lens bends incoming light rays. The focal length is typically measured in millimeters and is a key factor in determining the magnification and image formation of the lens.

What is the difference between a converging lens and a diverging lens?

A converging lens is thicker in the middle and has the ability to bend light rays towards a central point, while a diverging lens is thicker on the edges and causes light rays to spread out. In other words, a converging lens brings parallel light rays together, while a diverging lens spreads them apart.

What are some common uses for a converging lens?

Converging lenses have a wide range of applications in various fields, including photography, astronomy, and microscopy. They are commonly used in cameras and telescopes to produce clear and magnified images. They are also used in corrective eyewear, such as glasses and contact lenses, to help improve vision.