Converging Lens Homework: Finding Image Distance with Thin Lens Equation"

In summary, the focal length of a converging lens can be used to determine the location and nature of a real image produced. By applying the thin lens equation, the image distance of a new lens with a focal length of 32.0 cm was found to be approximately -0.509 m, indicating a virtual image. It is important to keep significant figures in intermediate steps to avoid rounding errors in the final answer.
aChordate

Homework Statement

An object is in front of a converging lens with a focal length of 11.0 cm. The lens
produces a real image located 25.0 cm from the lens. If the lens is replaced by a new lens
(in the same position) that has a focal length of 32.0 cm, what is the image distance of the
new lens? Is the image real or virtual?

Homework Equations

Thin lens equation
1/f=1/d0+1/di

The Attempt at a Solution

lens 1:

1/+11*10-2=1/dO+1/+25.0*10-2

dO=0.196m

lens2:

1/+32.0*10-2=1/0.196m+1/di

di=-0.506m

Virtual image

Physics news on Phys.org
aChordate said:

lens 1:

1/+11*10-2=1/dO+1/+25.0*10-2

dO=0.196m

lens2:

1/+32.0*10-2=1/0.196m+1/di

di=-0.506m

Virtual image

Your approach is correct.

Your answer is pretty close, but there are some rounding errors. You might want to try again, but keep more significant figures in the intermediate steps.

Likes 1 person
I got -.509 on the second try. Hopefully that is correct.

aChordate said:
I got -.509 on the second try. Hopefully that is correct.
Yup. :approve: (Don't forget your units though.)

Likes 1 person

I would like to commend the student for their attempt at solving the problem using the thin lens equation. However, I would like to point out that the units used in the calculation are incorrect. The focal length and image distance should both be in meters, not centimeters. So the correct equations should be:

lens 1:

1/0.11 = 1/d0 + 1/0.25

d0 = 0.0488 m

lens 2:

1/0.32 = 1/0.0488 + 1/di

di = 0.0412 m

Therefore, the image distance of the new lens is positive, indicating a real image. It is important to pay attention to units in scientific calculations as they can greatly affect the final result.

Related to Converging Lens Homework: Finding Image Distance with Thin Lens Equation"

What is a converging lens?

A converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It causes parallel rays of light to converge and meet at a focal point.

What is the thin lens equation?

The thin lens equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the relationship between the object distance, image distance, and focal length of a lens. It is represented as 1/f = 1/o + 1/i, where f is the focal length, o is the object distance, and i is the image distance.

How do I find the image distance using the thin lens equation?

To find the image distance, you can rearrange the thin lens equation to solve for i. First, determine the values for f and o. Then, substitute those values into the equation and solve for i. The result will be the image distance.

What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when the light rays actually converge and intersect at a point. It can be projected onto a screen and is always inverted compared to the object. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when the light rays only appear to come from a point, but do not actually converge. It cannot be projected onto a screen and is always upright compared to the object.

Can the thin lens equation be used for all types of lenses?

The thin lens equation can only be used for thin lenses, which are lenses that are relatively thin compared to their focal length. It cannot be used for thick lenses, which have a significant thickness compared to their focal length.