Converging lens and Concave mirror

In summary, a converging lens and concave mirror of focal length 5.0 cm and arranged with their axes aligned create three images when a candle is placed 3 cm in front of the mirror. The third image is created from the reflection of the mirror image and can be seen by the eye or photographed. However, the definition of a "real image" can be argued as any image that can be seen with the eye can also be photographed, regardless of whether it is a virtual or real image.
HeyHow!
A converging lens (convex) and a concave mirror, both of focal length 5.0 cm, are arranged with their axes in line. The lens and the mirror are 10.0 cm apart and a candle is placed 3 cm infront of the mirror.

By using a ray diagram or some other metho, find the location of all the images formed.

If the candle and images were photographed, how many candles would appear in the picture?

i tried the problem (roughly done on computer) and i found two images, but the teacher said there was 3. my mistake may be in the reflection of the mirror. help would be appreciated

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 565
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, I don't like the way the "photographing" of the images was put in the question. A photograph would not pick up any of the images unless pieces of paper were put at the location the real images. Without the paper the camera would not pick up these images.

The "third" image would be created from the mirror image which would act as a new object and therefore create another image on the other side of the lens (the lens makes an image of the object and the mirror's image).

If the camera was looking into the lens, it would only see the two images that the lens produced.

Chi about the real part, in physics class it is often images which are real are often referred to as something you could photograph.

Well I did the problem and the way you drew it I got similar answer
here is my work... I also did the calculations which back up my sketch
http://www.quantumninja.com/random/lens2.jpg

Tom McCurdy said:
Chi about the real part, in physics class it is often images which are real are often referred to as something you could photograph.

In my opinion this is a very bad way to define a "real image." A real image can be projected on a screen. You can photograph a virtual image. Any image you can see with your eyeball can be photographed. Virtual images are usually defined as those that can NOT be projected on a screen.

You can not define a virtual images as one that can only be seen with your eye since you can also see real images with your eye.

Bottom line, if you can't see it with your eye, you can't photograph it; if you can see it with your eye, you can photograph it (assuming were talking about visible light).

Oh, I can't tell from your sketch which is the lens, mirror, object, or images.

Last edited:
save the image its a lot bigger
there are labesl lens
and mirror
the candel in the middle is the object
the two lines to the outsides point to the two images.

If this is not already clear by now, the 3 images are :

1) A virtual, upright, magnified image behind the mirror,
2) A real, inverted, magnified image behind the lens,
3) This is an image of the virtual image (1) from the mirror and is real, inverted, magnified and formed behind the lens, but closer than (2).

Related to Converging lens and Concave mirror

1. What is the difference between a converging lens and a concave mirror?

A converging lens is a transparent object with a curved surface that causes light rays to converge, or come together, at a point. A concave mirror is a reflective surface that curves inward and also causes light rays to converge at a point. The main difference is that a converging lens is made of transparent material while a concave mirror is made of reflective material.

2. How does a converging lens form an image?

A converging lens forms an image by refracting (bending) light rays as they pass through the lens. The light rays converge at a point called the focal point, forming an inverted real image. The location of the image depends on the distance of the object from the lens and the focal length of the lens.

3. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is an image that can be projected onto a screen and is formed by the convergence of light rays. It is formed when the object is placed beyond the focal point of the lens or mirror. A virtual image is an image that cannot be projected onto a screen and is formed by the apparent divergence of light rays. It is formed when the object is placed within the focal length of the lens or mirror.

4. How does a concave mirror magnify an image?

A concave mirror can magnify an image by reflecting light rays in a way that makes the image appear larger. This is achieved by placing the object between the focal point and the mirror, causing the light rays to diverge and creating a larger virtual image. The magnification of the image depends on the distance of the object from the mirror and the focal length of the mirror.

5. What is the difference between a converging lens and a convex lens?

A converging lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge. A convex lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge. This means that a converging lens forms an inverted real image while a convex lens forms an upright virtual image. Additionally, the focal length of a converging lens is positive, while the focal length of a convex lens is negative.