Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] converges to a holomorphic function on D(0,1)

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
$f(z) = \prod\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}(1 - nz^n)$

So I a trying to show that $f$ converges to a holomorphic function on the open unit disc $D(0,1)$.

For some reason, I am just not understanding this section on Weierstrass Products.

Jose27

Feb 1, 2012
The product converges normally: Pick $K=D(0,r)\subset D(0,1)$ and let $|\cdot|_K=\sup_K |\cdot|$ then
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |nz^n|_K\leq r|(\frac{1}{1-r}-1)'|=\frac{r}{(1-r)^2}<\infty$$
for each $0<r<1$. This implies that $f$ is holomorphic in $D(0,1)$

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
The product converges normally: Pick $K=D(0,r)\subset D(0,1)$ and let $|\cdot|_K=\sup_K |\cdot|$ then
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |nz^n|_K\leq r|(\frac{1}{1-r}-1)'|=\frac{r}{(1-r)^2}<\infty$$
for each $0<r<1$. This implies that $f$ is holomorphic in $D(0,1)$

There is a typo sorry. It should say $\prod_{n=1}^{\infty}(1+nz)^n$.

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Even though my question was had a typo originally, how did you come up with this. I see that it will only converge if |z| < 1 so we need a geometric series but why do you have
$$
r\left|\left(\frac{1}{1-r}-1\right)'\right| = \frac{r}{(1-r)^2}
$$
Why are we taking the derivative here as well?

Jose27

Feb 1, 2012

There is a typo sorry. It should say $\prod_{n=1}^{\infty}(1+nz)^n$.
I think there's something wrong: Take $z=\frac{1}{2}$ (the estimate works for any positive real number on the unit interval) then for $n>2$ we have $|(1+nz)|^n \geq 1+(nz)^n>2$ which cannot happen if the product converges since individual terms tend to $1$ in that case.

As for your other question, just notice that $\sum_{n=0}^\infty nz^{n-1}=\left( \frac{1}{1-z}\right)'$ (taking the derivative term by term) and mind the indices.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I think there's something wrong: Take $z=\frac{1}{2}$ (the estimate works for any positive real number on the unit interval) then for $n>2$ we have $|(1+nz)|^n \geq 1+(nz)^n>2$ which cannot happen if the product converges since individual terms tend to $1$ in that case.

As for your other question, just notice that $\sum_{n=0}^\infty nz^{n-1}=\left( \frac{1}{1-z}\right)'$ (taking the derivative term by term) and mind the indices.

The -1 is what I am unsure about. $\left|\left(\dfrac{1}{1-r}-1\right)\right|$. Where did it come from?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Could we start over with this problem? I don't understand how you have came up with what you have. There are some intermediate steps that are missing that aren't readily apparent to me.

Thanks.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
How can I show that each point on the unit circle is an accumulation?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
How can I show that each point on the unit circle is an accumulation?
Ok so I have an idea. $1 - nz^n\Rightarrow z = \sqrt[n]{\dfrac{1}{n}}$. So how do I show that each point on the unit circle is an accumulation point now?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Is this correct?

Fix $R = 1$. Let $N$ be such that $|z_N|\leq 2 < |z_{N + 1}|$.
Then for $|z| \leq 1$ and $n > N$ we have $\left|z/z_n\right| < 1/2$ and hence
$$
\left|\log\left[\prod\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}(1 - nz^n)\right]\right| = \left|\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\log(1 - nz^n)\right|\leq 2\left(\frac{1}{z_n}\right)^{k_n = 2}.
$$
So the series
$$
\sum_{n = N + 1}^{\infty}\log(1 - nz^n)
$$
converges absolutely and uniformly when $|z|\leq 1$.