Convergent or Divergent: Is this a Convergent Series?

In summary, the conversation discusses a misunderstanding between a series and a sequence in a math problem. The lecturer's notes state that the series is divergent, while the student believes it is a convergent series. After clarification, it is determined that the sequence converges to 2, but the series diverges. The student thanks the other person for their help and is reminded to learn the difference between a sequence and a series.
matthew1
Mod note: Moved from a homework section.
1. Homework Statement

this is my lecturer's notes, he says it is a divergent series, but this seems like an obvious convergent series to me..
could someone verify?

Homework Equations

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mc5rth0cgm94reg/incorrect maths.png?dl=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
matthew1 said:

Homework Statement

this is my lecturer's notes, he says it is a divergent series, but this seems like an obvious convergent series to me..
could someone verify?

Homework Equations

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mc5rth0cgm94reg/incorrect maths.png?dl=0

The Attempt at a Solution

The series is the sum of all of the terms of the sequence. The sequence does converge to 2.

What is the sum of an infinite number of terms each of which is at least a little greater than 2 ?

SammyS said:
The series is the sum of all of the terms of the sequence. The sequence does converge to 2.

What is the sum of an infinite number of terms each of which is at least a little greater than 2 ?
Ah, I thought i was already looking at the series, but that was the terms of the sequence! thanks a lot :-)

matthew1 said:
Ah, I thought i was already looking at the series, but that was the terms of the sequence! thanks a lot :-)
Be sure you learn the difference between a sequence of terms, such as ##\{2 + e^{-m}\}_{m = 1}^{\infty}##, and a series, such as ##\sum_{m = 1}^{\infty}2 + e^{-m}##.

Related to Convergent or Divergent: Is this a Convergent Series?

1. What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is a sequence of numbers that approaches a finite limit as the number of terms in the series increases. This means that as more terms are added, the total sum of the series gets closer and closer to a specific number.

2. How can you determine if a series is convergent?

A series can be determined to be convergent or not by using various mathematical tests, such as the comparison test, ratio test, or integral test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the series and determine if it approaches a finite limit or not.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases, while a divergent series does not. In other words, the sum of a convergent series can be calculated, while the sum of a divergent series is infinite.

4. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. It can only be one or the other. If a series approaches a finite limit, it is convergent. If it does not approach a finite limit, it is divergent.

5. Are there real-world applications of convergent series?

Yes, convergent series have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as electrical circuits, population dynamics, and financial markets.