Forces related question (it's a problem)

• Thread starter Moontears
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving coins attached to a thread and the determination of their acceleration. One person provides a solution and another person points out a mistake in the given value of g. There is also a discussion about whether the thread should be considered in the problem or not. The final conclusion is that the correct answer is 5.29 ms^-2.
Moontears
Ok, I solved this forces problem and I keep getting a different answer than presented in the back of the book. Now I am almost certain that I am correct and I just want to see if anyone else may be able to answer this problem and don't even post your solution, only what you got for the acceleration of the coins. If in the mood, please attempt.

The problem is as follows:

You attach a loonie (mL = 6.99g) and a dime (mD = 2.09g) to the ends of a thread. You put the thread over a smooth horizontal bar and pull the thread taut. Finally, you release your hands, letting the loonie drop and the dime rise. Friction between the thread and the bar is negligible, and the magnitude of g = 9.80 m/s/s [down]. Determine the magnitude of the acceleration of the coins.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, let's deal with the loonie and the dime seperately as two systems sharing an acceleration and a tension.

For the loonie, we know that:

a = ((mL) * g - T)/mL

This rearranges to..

T = mL*g - mL * a

For the dime, we get similarly...

a = ((T - (mD) * g)/mD

T = mDa + mDg

Now, T = T (shock horror! :smile: so

mD*a + mDg = mL*g - mL * a
so a = (mL*g - mD*g)/(mD + mL)
= 5.29 ms^-2

(However, the value you have for g is wrong. g to 3 sf = 9.81, not 9.80.)

FZ+'s point about g is that, if you are using two significant figures, 9.8 is sufficient but that, if you are using three significant figures, the correct value is 9.81, not 9.80.

Now, FZ+, why would it be incorrect to ignore the thread connecting the two coins and just treat this as a single object with mass
6.99- 2.09= 4.90 grams? Of course, such an object would just accelerate downward with acceleration 9.81 cm/sec^2.

Thank you FZ+, yeah you are getting the same answer as the back of the book. I just had another way of approaching the problem which made sense in my nogin but I guess was wrong. My way I kept getting 18.1 m/s/s, which was way off. Thank you for your time.

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to change its motion or shape. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What are the types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces in the universe: gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. In everyday life, common types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

3. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. According to Newton's first law of motion, an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant speed in a straight line unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

4. How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

5. How can we measure forces?

Forces can be measured using a device called a force meter or a spring scale. These instruments use calibrated springs to measure the amount of force being applied to them. The force is then read from a scale on the device.