Can Cell Phones Be Tapped Without Physical Access?

• Thread starter nbann5000
  • Start date
In summary, there are four main approaches to tapping cordless phones: picking up another phone on the same line, using a "bug" to transmit, getting a radio that can receive on the same frequency (although this is less effective with modern scrambled/coded phones), and tapping into the phone system itself. With the advancement of technology, tapping cell phones has become easier and can be done through central switching stations or using devices like "trigger fish." A recent wiretap survey found that traditional wiretaps account for about one-third of surveillance devices used.
nbann5000
ho do u taap cordless phones?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Originally posted by nbann5000
ho do u taap cordless phones?

I'm not sure this is appropriate for the forum, so please delete if not.

There are 4 main approaches:
1) Pick up another phone on the same line.
2) Insert a "bug" into the phone that can transmit.
3) Get a radio that can receive on the same frequency that the phone operates at, but they're mostly scrambled/coded now-a-days so this doesn't work very often.
4) Tap into the phone system and intercept the call as it goes through.

Traditional wiretaps, such as microphones hidden in walls and "bugs" planted on telephone lines, account for about one-third of all surveillance devices, according to an annual wiretap survey released Tuesday by the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts.

New technology helped simplify the process of tapping cell phones. Increasingly, cell phone tappers listen in at central switching stations as calls are relayed to other cellular or hard-wired phones. Police also use "trigger fish," devices that can pluck cell calls out of the air but must be used near the caller.

Taken from;
http://www.snapshield.com/www_problems/United_States/Technology_boosts.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I set up my cordless phone?

To set up your cordless phone, first plug in the base station and make sure it has power. Then, charge the handset by placing it on the base station for at least 16 hours. Once charged, power on the handset and follow the instructions in the user manual to register it with the base station.

2. How do I make a call with a cordless phone?

To make a call with a cordless phone, first ensure that the handset is on and has a dial tone. Then, enter the phone number using the keypad and press the call/send button. You can also use the phonebook or redial feature to call previously dialed numbers.

3. How do I answer a call with a cordless phone?

When a call comes in, the cordless phone will ring and display the caller ID, if available. To answer the call, simply press the answer/end button on the handset. If you have multiple handsets registered to the base station, any of them can answer the call.

4. How do I adjust the volume on my cordless phone?

To adjust the volume on your cordless phone, use the volume buttons on the handset while on a call. You can also adjust the ringer volume by going into the phone's settings menu. Some cordless phones also have a speakerphone option, which can be activated by pressing the speaker button on the handset.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with my cordless phone?

If you are experiencing issues with your cordless phone, first make sure that the base station and handset are both turned on and have power. If the issue persists, try resetting the phone by unplugging the base station for a few seconds and then plugging it back in. You can also refer to the user manual for specific troubleshooting steps or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.