When will the Stars Die Out? - What Makes It?

• Thread starter Nec
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the lifespan of stars and when they will eventually die out. It is difficult to predict when this will happen, but it is estimated that even 50 billion years from now, there will still be some stars in existence. The size of a star determines its lifespan, with larger stars burning out quicker and smaller stars lasting longer. However, there is no need to be gloomy as we currently live in a warm and bright time, and there will still be stars for a long time to come. The conversation ends with one member offering to give another one of their long-lasting stars for free.
Nec
How long, how come!

Can anyone tell me when the stars will die out ?
What makes it ?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nec said:
Can anyone tell me when the stars will die out ?
What makes it ?

Thanks

Nec, there still are stars being formed.
We can see them condensing in clouds of gas
and beginning to glow

Nature has not yet finished making stars

it is still early to be talking about when will they all be dead.

But it is still possible to try to estimate when most will be dead.
the difficulty in saying is that the large hot bright stars burn out quickly
and the medium size stars like the Sun last a medium time like 10 billion years
and the little stars a quarter or a tenth the mass of the sun are dim and burn very slowly and last a very long time

So even 50 billion years from now there will probably be some stars

many will have burned out and grown cold
but there will still be dim slow-burning stars

perhaps you would like to prepare for the long wintertime.
If you want, I will sell you one of my stars, the small kind that burn for a very long time

Welcome to Physics Forums, Nec.
Stars form from clouds of mostly hydrogen. That hydrogen is the fuel for the fusion reaction that makes stars shine. Each star has a finite amount of fuel, so eventually, they run out. Like marcus said, a star like our sun lasts about 10 billion years before burning out. It's end stage will be a small "white dwarf star" that will simply cool off over billions of years into a ball of ash.
Larger stars burn brighter and have shorter lives. Smaller stars burn cooler and live longer.
Even 100 billion years from now, there will still be stars, but there will only be small, cool stars and the cooling remains of former bright stars. Eventually, long after that, even those stars will die out.
But no need to be gloomy...we live in a wonderfully warm/bright time now.

Phobos said:
But no need to be gloomy...we live in a wonderfully warm/bright time now.

yeah, no need to be gloomy, this is a very nice time.
Besides even if all you have left is a dim small star (the kind that burns very slow) all you need to do is sit closer to it!

If you are still worried, I will even give you one of my long-lasting stars for free. there are plenty

What is the process that causes stars to die out?

Stars die out when they run out of fuel to continue nuclear fusion reactions in their core. This results in a decrease in energy production, leading to a gradual cooling and collapse of the star.

How long does it take for a star to die out?

The lifespan of a star depends on its mass. Smaller stars, like our sun, can live for billions of years. Larger stars, on the other hand, have shorter lifespans and can die out in a few million years.

Will all stars eventually die out?

Yes, all stars will eventually die out. This is a natural process that occurs in all stars, regardless of their size or type.

What happens to a star after it dies out?

After a star dies out, it goes through a series of transformations depending on its mass. Smaller stars will become white dwarfs, while larger stars can become neutron stars or even black holes.

Will the death of stars affect life on Earth?

The death of stars will not directly affect life on Earth, as the closest star to us, the sun, has a long lifespan. However, the death of stars can have indirect effects, such as creating new elements that can contribute to the diversity of life on Earth.