Phobos is an Exceptionally Dark Object in the Solar System

In summary: Although I imagine it would be more fun to just jump off. In summary, according to CNN anyway, Phobos is "one of the darkest objects in the solar system", and it would be very dangerous to go unprotected on it.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
according to CNN anyway...
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/06/24/mars.moon.ap/index.html [Broken]

funny, since Phobos is "one of the darkest objects in the solar system"!
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=9578

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
i never realized how tiny phobos was compared to mars!

Originally posted by Kerrie
i never realized how tiny phobos was compared to mars!

In principle, a person could run and jump off of this tiny moon. I think the escape velocity is about 3m/s.

mmmm I just want to put some bacon and chedder cheese in that moon and eat it

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
In principle, a person could run and jump off of this tiny moon. I think the escape velocity is about 3m/s.

Unprotected you would die first. It would probably be easier to just jump straight.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking

Very interesting Ivan; however, the escape velocity of Phobos is about 11.5 m/sec, so you couldn't jump straight up. I can't run that fast but a good sprinter could and thus, running off an appropriately positioned cliff, he could launch himself into space. That's about 26 mph; so I could probably ride a bicycle into space;...well, at least I could throw baseballs into space.

It is quite amazing to realize that I could stand on a Martian moon and I could terrorize the Martian surface by pelting it with appropriately directed baseballs as often as I wish. It would be interesting to figure the enourmous increase in energy by which my feeble baseballs would decsimate the surface of Mars. (Assuming I could keep my baseballs from burning up in the Martian atmosphere). Or I could take a free ride on my bicycle in in a chosen direction such that I will end up on the surface of Mars (with quite an impact I might add)!

It makes me think that Phobos may one day be a very stategic place if Mars ever becomes inhabited.
Just a thought.:wink:

Creator

P.S. Thanks Phobos for the appetizing images.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Creator
Very interesting Ivan; however, the escape velocity of Phobos is about 11.5 m/sec,

How about Deimos? I remember 3m/s for something. Still, what a concept eh?

More on this utterly fascinating little world...:wink:
http://www.seds.org/billa/tnp/phobos.html [Broken]

Kerrie - - yep, likely just a captured asteroid

Creator - - (re: biking to Mars) Just use airbags like NASA does!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any gold there ?!

Originally posted by Phobos

Creator - - (re: biking to Mars) Just use airbags like NASA does! [/B]

He, He; good point; maybe I'll give it a try.

1. What is Phobos?

Phobos is one of the two moons of Mars. It is the larger and innermost of the two moons, with a diameter of about 22 kilometers.

2. Why is Phobos considered an exceptionally dark object?

Phobos has a very low albedo, meaning it reflects very little light. It has been measured to reflect only 7% of the sunlight that hits it, making it one of the darkest objects in the solar system.

3. What causes Phobos to be so dark?

The dark color of Phobos is due to its composition. It is made up of carbon-rich rocks and dust, which absorb rather than reflect light. This, combined with the lack of atmosphere on Phobos, results in its exceptionally dark appearance.

4. Are there any other objects in the solar system that are as dark as Phobos?

Yes, there are other objects in the solar system with similar low albedo values. Some examples include the moons of Saturn, such as Hyperion and Iapetus, and some asteroids, such as Ceres and Vesta.

5. How does the darkness of Phobos affect its temperature?

Due to its low albedo, Phobos absorbs more sunlight than it reflects. This causes its surface to heat up, resulting in a higher average temperature compared to other objects in the solar system. However, Phobos also has a low thermal inertia, meaning it can quickly release this heat, resulting in large temperature fluctuations between its day and night sides.