Convective heat transfer coefficient issue

In summary: Your Name]In summary, a scientist is working on simulating a heater in ANSYS and is seeking help with calculating the convection coefficient for the air gap. The air gap is 0.01in and the flow conditions are likely to be laminar. The recommended approach for calculating the convection coefficient is to use the Nusselt number correlation for laminar flow over a flat plate. The convection coefficient is also dependent on the temperature difference between the surface and the surrounding fluid, so an average value may need to be used for the entire simulation time.
sbaw88
I am working on the simulation of a heater in ANSYS. I'll explain the geometry:
- Top plate - Ceramic Porcelain material - 2.65in x 4.8in x 0.06in - carries a small heater (2in x 0.125in x 0.01in) on top of it which generates 18W of heat.
- Bottom heater - 5.8in x 3.65in x 0.03in - Stainless steel plate
- Air gap between the two heaters - 0.01in

The top small heater power runs constantly for 4.5 minutes and the plate has a convection coefficient of 30 W/m2C. The bottom heater start running 30 seconds after the top heater starts and goes from ambient temperature (24.85 C) to 400C.

I am including radiation effect between the bottom layer of top plate and upper layer of bottom plate. I am mainly concerned about the convection coefficient to be used for air. I am unable to get a proper value of the coefficient to be used. Can someone help me with the calculations? Am I missing something very basic?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your simulation project on the heater in ANSYS. It sounds like a complex and interesting problem. I am a scientist with experience in thermal analysis and I would be happy to help with your question about the convection coefficient for the air gap.

Firstly, it is important to note that the convection coefficient is influenced by various factors such as fluid properties, flow conditions, surface roughness, and geometry. In your case, the air gap between the two heaters is only 0.01in, which means that the flow conditions are likely to be laminar. This is important to consider when determining the convection coefficient.

One approach to calculating the convection coefficient for laminar flow is to use the Nusselt number correlation for laminar flow over a flat plate. This correlation takes into account the Prandtl number, which is a dimensionless number that describes the ratio of momentum diffusivity to thermal diffusivity. For air, the Prandtl number is approximately 0.7 at 25°C.

Using the Nusselt number correlation, the convection coefficient can be calculated as follows:

Nu = 0.664*(Re^0.5)*(Pr^0.33)

Where Nu is the Nusselt number, Re is the Reynolds number (calculated using the air gap thickness and the velocity of the air), and Pr is the Prandtl number.

Once the Nusselt number is known, the convection coefficient can be calculated using the following equation:

h = (Nu*k)/L

Where h is the convection coefficient, k is the thermal conductivity of air, and L is the characteristic length (in this case, the air gap thickness).

It is also worth noting that the convection coefficient is dependent on the temperature difference between the surface and the surrounding fluid. In your case, the temperature difference will vary as the bottom heater heats up. Therefore, it may be necessary to use an average convection coefficient over the entire simulation time.

I hope this information helps with your calculations. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification on the above. Good luck with your simulation project!

Related to Convective heat transfer coefficient issue

What is the convective heat transfer coefficient?

The convective heat transfer coefficient is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred between a solid surface and a moving fluid. It quantifies the effectiveness of convection in removing heat from the surface and transferring it to the fluid.

How is the convective heat transfer coefficient calculated?

The convective heat transfer coefficient is calculated using empirical correlations or theoretical models based on different parameters such as fluid properties, geometrical shape, and flow conditions. These equations are used to estimate the convective heat transfer coefficient for a specific system or application.

What factors affect the convective heat transfer coefficient?

The convective heat transfer coefficient is affected by factors such as fluid velocity, fluid properties (such as density, viscosity, and thermal conductivity), surface roughness, and temperature difference between the surface and the fluid. Other factors like surface geometry, flow direction, and boundary conditions can also influence the convective heat transfer coefficient.

Why is the convective heat transfer coefficient important?

The convective heat transfer coefficient is crucial in a wide range of applications, including heating, cooling, and ventilation systems. It is also used in the design and optimization of heat exchangers, refrigeration systems, and air conditioning units. Accurate knowledge of the convective heat transfer coefficient is essential for efficient and effective heat transfer in these systems.

How can the convective heat transfer coefficient be improved?

The convective heat transfer coefficient can be improved by increasing the fluid velocity, using materials with higher thermal conductivity, and reducing the surface roughness. Additionally, optimizing the geometry of the system and controlling the flow direction can also improve the convective heat transfer coefficient. Conducting experiments and using advanced computational methods can also help to improve the accuracy of convective heat transfer coefficient calculations.