Convection diffusion equation 1D exact solution

In summary, the conversation is about solving the 1D convection diffusion equation with a constant heat flux and given boundary conditions. The equation is transformed into a simpler form and the no generation solution is found. However, when using a differential equation solver, the solution does not match the numerical solution. It is suggested to delete a term in order to get the correct solution.
phunnyish
I'm looking for the analytical solution for the 1D convection diffusion equation with a constant heat flux.

Boundary conditions:
The domain I'm looking at is x from 0 meters to 1 meter. The temperature at x=0 is T=0 degrees Celsius. At x=1, T=100 C.

I'm given the equation:

d/dx(rho*Cp*u*T)=d/dx(k dT/dx) + q'''

rho=density
Cp=specific heat
u=velocity in x-dir
T=temperature
k=thermal conductivity
q=generated heat (constant)
alpha=k/(rho*Cp)
P=(rho*u*L)/k (Peclet number)
To=0 C=273 K
T_L=100 C=373 K

I get it in the form:

u/alpha (dT/dx) - d^2T/dx^2 = q'''/k (equation 2)

I need to solve for T as a function of x (space).

I found the no generation solution to be

T(x)=(T_L-To)*(exp(P*x/L)-1)/(exp(P)-1)+To;

I tried plugging my equation 2 into a DE solver and I got

T(x)=[a*c1*e^(bx/a)]/(b) + cx/b + c2

c1 and c2 are constants
a=-1
b=u/alpha
c=q'''/k

I tried plugging in my boundary conditions to solve for c1 and c2 multiple times, but the solutions are not coming close to my numerical solutions at all.

I have also searched numerous sites trying to find this solution.

If anyone knows what T(x) is for this type of problem with constant heat flux, please respond to this post. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
To me it looks like the DE solver solution is incorrect. Just delete the a=-1 to get the right answer which should be:

Aexp(Px/L) + B + (c/b)x

The boundary conditions give
A+B=T0
Aexp(P)+B+c/b =TL.
Subtracting the two equations gives
A = (TL-T0-c/b) / (exp(P)-1).
B = T0 - A.

T = (TL-T0-c/b)*(exp(Px/L) -1) / (exp(P)-1) + T0 +(c/b)x

Related to Convection diffusion equation 1D exact solution

What is the Convection-Diffusion Equation in 1D?

The Convection-Diffusion Equation in 1D is a mathematical model that describes the transport of a substance or quantity through a medium by a combination of convection (movement due to a bulk flow) and diffusion (movement due to concentration gradients).

What is the exact solution to the Convection-Diffusion Equation in 1D?

The exact solution to the Convection-Diffusion Equation in 1D depends on the specific boundary conditions and initial conditions of the problem. In general, it involves solving a partial differential equation using methods such as separation of variables or numerical techniques.

How is the Convection-Diffusion Equation in 1D used in real-world applications?

The Convection-Diffusion Equation in 1D is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, including fluid dynamics, heat transfer, chemical reactions, and environmental studies. It can be used to model phenomena such as transport of pollutants in the atmosphere, diffusion of gases in a fuel cell, or drug delivery in the human body.

What are the main assumptions made in the Convection-Diffusion Equation in 1D?

The Convection-Diffusion Equation in 1D assumes that the medium is well-mixed and that the transport occurs in a single direction (1D). It also assumes that the substance being transported is conserved and that the diffusion coefficient is constant.

Are there any limitations to using the Convection-Diffusion Equation in 1D?

While the Convection-Diffusion Equation in 1D is a useful tool for modeling many physical processes, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not accurately capture the behavior of highly turbulent flows or complex geometries. Additionally, it may not be applicable for substances that do not follow Fick's Law of diffusion.