Controls Engineering: Resources & Tutorials for Beginners

• Thread starter Stanley_Smith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Controls
In summary, Warren recommends the textbook "Control Systems Engineering" by Norman S. Nise for learning about controls engineering. The book provides real-life examples and the use of software like Matlab with the add-on 'Control Systems Toolbox' is necessary for some problems.
Stanley_Smith
Hi all,

I just recently entered the world of controls engineering for an automation company. I wonder if anyone could give me any good site/tutorial/book about controls engineering ?

Thank you,

Stan

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are plenty of textbooks on control systems. Try a university bookstore.

- Warren

Hi Stanley,

The book which was used to teach my intro controls systems class was: "Control Systems Engineering" by Norman S. Nise

It was a fairly decent book, as textbooks go. Lots of real-life examples. To do some of the problems, software such as Matlab with the add-on 'Control Systems Toolbox' (~$35 for student version of the add-on) are necessary (and they make your life much easier).

Related to Controls Engineering: Resources & Tutorials for Beginners

1. What is controls engineering?

Controls engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, implementation, and maintenance of systems that control physical processes. This includes systems such as robots, manufacturing equipment, and automated processes.

2. What are the key resources for beginners in controls engineering?

Some key resources for beginners in controls engineering include textbooks, online tutorials, and practical hands-on experience. There are also many resources available through professional organizations and conferences.

3. What are the main concepts and principles in controls engineering?

The main concepts and principles in controls engineering include feedback control systems, system analysis and modeling, control algorithms, sensors and actuators, and system optimization. It also involves understanding and applying mathematical concepts such as differential equations and Laplace transforms.

4. How can I learn controls engineering?

There are many ways to learn controls engineering, including taking courses at a university or technical school, attending workshops and conferences, and self-study through textbooks and online tutorials. It is also helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or working on projects.

5. What are some common applications of controls engineering?

Controls engineering has a wide range of applications, including robotics, manufacturing, aerospace and defense, automotive systems, and environmental control systems. It is also used in fields such as healthcare, agriculture, and energy production.