Controls Engineering and Physics

In summary, if you like engineering and physics, and are doing well in your field, you can consider yourself an applied physicist.
nebbione
Hi everyone! I'm a Computer Engineering student, and for the Master Degree i think i would like to proceed my career in Controls Engineering, because i really like the subject, anyway my interests are aerospace, robotics and physics, do you think a controls engineer can have a significant career in these fields ?
And since I'm really interested in physics, do you think that if i do research in physical modelling for Controls Engineering i can even be considered a physicist or an applied physicist ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You will not be considered a physicist. But that's OK.

I am a registered Controls Engineer. There is plenty of work for people like you or me. You will find that straight physics work is not that common. However, chemical, robotic, and aerospace work is. Don't overlook the more mundane but very essential work such as electric power plants, refineries, assembly lines, food processing, HVAC work, and so on. Yes, it is easy to sneer at such work, but it is typically very steady work that pays reasonably well. There is also plenty of opportunity for advancement if you want to go that route.

Motion control in particular is getting a lot of attention. Nevertheless, while it is cool to discuss robots, the real work of controlling servos for actuators and non-linear curve compensation for process consistency is much more interesting.

yes but anyway since I'm an engineer, i can be considered an applied physicist, if I'm doing research or if i write publications about physics right?

nebbione said:
yes but anyway since I'm an engineer, i can be considered an applied physicist, if I'm doing research or if i write publications about physics right?

Only in your mind.

But as JakeBrodskyPE said, that's OK.

nebbione said:

I don't think so. Most people with PhDs in physics don't even become physicists.

what about photonics engineering can them be considered some kind of applied physicist ?

You are a little too worried about what words other people use to describe you and your job.

As long as you enjoy what you are doing and are doing well at it, it really doesn't matter what other people call your job at all.

Engineering is applied physics. But if you call yourself an applied physicist, all you will get will be puzzled looks.

Engineering is an old, respectable, and noble profession. Why are you so eager to call yourself something else? Given the scandals of late, it is more respectable than calling yourself an accountant, a lawyer, a journalist, or a politician.

well, I really want to study and enhance in physics, and i like to work in the engineering field, but even physics, that's why i would like to be considered a physicist in the society... anyway i think it depends on what we mean by physicist, and anyway, what the people think is important, and for example if I'm an engineer and I'm really good at physics and always get the news on new physics research and write publications about physics, i can't understand why one can't be considered an engineer and a physicist... I think that nobody can give you the title of physicist, it's all about how much you know about it, and if you write publications in that matter... Am I wrong ?

Nobody gives you the title "physicist", but the reality is that unless you have a Ph.D. in physics *and* are doing research in the field, no other physicist will consider you a physicist.

Related to Controls Engineering and Physics

1. What is the role of a controls engineer in physics?

A controls engineer uses principles from physics to design, analyze and implement control systems for various applications. This can include designing and optimizing circuits, developing algorithms for control systems, and testing and troubleshooting systems to ensure they meet performance requirements.

2. How does controls engineering contribute to advancements in physics?

Controls engineering plays a crucial role in advancing physics by developing and improving instrumentation and measurement systems used in experiments. By designing precise and accurate control systems, controls engineers help researchers gather more accurate data and make new discoveries in the field of physics.

3. What are the key principles of controls engineering?

The key principles of controls engineering include understanding and manipulating the behavior of dynamic systems, using mathematical models to design control systems, and applying control theory to optimize system performance. Other important concepts include feedback control, stability analysis, and signal processing techniques.

4. How is physics used in controls engineering?

Physics is used in controls engineering to understand and model the behavior of physical systems and their components. This allows controls engineers to design control systems that can accurately and efficiently manipulate these systems to achieve desired outcomes. Additionally, physics is used to analyze and optimize the performance of control systems through principles such as feedback control and stability analysis.

5. What are some examples of controls engineering applications in physics?

Controls engineering has a wide range of applications in physics, including designing and optimizing control systems for particle accelerators, spacecraft guidance and navigation systems, and robotic systems used in space exploration. It is also used in medical physics for developing and improving medical imaging technology and in industrial physics for process control and automation in manufacturing.