Controlling a stepper motor with computer

In summary: They have a number of advantages such as being able to rotate in any direction and having a variable speed. Other considerations would be the power requirements (these can be quite high) and the fact that they can only be used for low speed applications.
Malhoosh
Hello all,

I want to control a stepper motor using the computer to track the motion of a teacher in a classroom. For example i might put a webcam on the motor and control the motor to keep the camera pointing to the teacher.

The teacher will be using a pen with an IR led at its top so that another IR camera locates where the teacher is on the board and this information is used to direct the stepper motor.

If I was able to convey my idea to you, my questions are:

1- Will a stepper motor be efficient for such a job ? I mean will it be accurate enough and give a fast response ?

2- What materials will I need to control the stepper motor in this case ? Any links that can be useful ?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
For a walk through try this:

http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/

Typical stepper motors are 1.8 degree per full step (200 steps per revolution). Various controllers allow 1/2 step, 1/4 step and higher resolutions for both unipolar and bipolar configurations. There are stepper motors with higher and lower step counts available. A typical PC controlled stepper motor involves a controller that interfaces with the PC and a driver that supplies the current to the stepper motor.

Stepper motors generally drive either a lead screw, belt or gear. In most cases accuracy, torque and speed are design parameters that can be achieved. With a 36:1 gear reduction on a 1.8 degree stepper motor, you could achieve 1/400th of a degree accuracy with a 1/2 step controller. It would be fairly trivial to rotate your camera with this precision @ over 20RPM if you decided that was required.

Fish

Have you considered servo motors?

These cover a rotation of 90 degrees but do it very quickly (much faster than stepper motors). They are used for radio controlled models and robots so they are available quite cheaply at Hobby stores.

They are driven by a pulse stream of 0.75 mS to 2.25 mS (depending on the angle required) every 20 mS.

Related to Controlling a stepper motor with computer

What is a stepper motor?

A stepper motor is an electromechanical device that converts electrical pulses into precise mechanical movements. It is commonly used in various industrial and consumer applications, such as robotics, 3D printers, and CNC machines.

How does a computer control a stepper motor?

A computer can control a stepper motor by sending a series of electrical pulses to the motor through a controller. The controller interprets these pulses and activates the motor's coils in a specific sequence, causing the motor to move in precise steps.

What are the advantages of using a stepper motor for computer-controlled systems?

One of the main advantages of using a stepper motor for computer-controlled systems is its high precision and accuracy. Stepper motors can move in small, precise steps, making them suitable for applications that require precise positioning. They are also easy to control and can maintain their position without the need for a feedback mechanism.

What are the different types of stepper motors?

There are three main types of stepper motors: permanent magnet, variable reluctance, and hybrid. Permanent magnet stepper motors have a permanent magnet rotor and are commonly used in low-cost applications. Variable reluctance stepper motors have a toothed rotor and are known for their high torque and low cost. Hybrid stepper motors combine the features of both permanent magnet and variable reluctance motors, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

What factors should be considered when selecting a stepper motor for computer control?

When selecting a stepper motor for computer control, it is important to consider factors such as torque, step angle, speed, and accuracy. The motor's torque should be sufficient to move the load, and the step angle should be appropriate for the desired resolution. The speed and accuracy requirements will also determine the type of stepper motor that is suitable for the application.