Control volume, Fluid mechanics

In summary, according to your diagram and equation, Fk is the force exerted by the control volume on the fluid in the positive x direction. However, the force in the positive x direction exerted by the control volume on the fluid is -Fk. This results in a macroscopic balance on the fluid that should read: P1A1-Fk-P2A2.
Kqwert

Homework Statement

OcAVrgE.png

I have a situation as illustrated by the image above, where the red box illustrates the CV. The pressure on the left side of CV is P1, while the pressure on the right side of CV is P2. Here I´ve directed the pressure forces acting inwards on CV. The problem arises with Fk. I am interested in the force acting from the water ON the wall. Sum of forces in x-direction:

Fsigma = P1*A1 + Fk - P2*A2.

The answer manual however want´s Fk to be negative. Where am I wrong?

Attachments

• OcAVrgE.png
    OcAVrgE.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kqwert said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 225725

I have a situation as illustrated by the image above, where the red box illustrates the CV. The pressure on the left side of CV is P1, while the pressure on the right side of CV is P2. Here I´ve directed the pressure forces acting inwards on CV. The problem arises with Fk. I am interested in the force acting from the water ON the wall, i.e. my force balance in the x-direction becomes:

P1*A1 + Fk - P2*A2.

The anser manual however want´s Fk to be negative. Where am I wrong?
I don't see an equal sign in your force balance.

Chestermiller said:
I don't see an equal sign in your force balance.
I am sorry, bad formulation. I have edited my post now.

According to your diagram and equation, ##F_k## is the force exerted by the CV on the fluid in the positive x direction. Thus a negative value indicates that the force exerted by the CV on the fluid is actually in the negative x direction. Thus, by Newton's 3rd law, the force exerted by the fluid on the CV is in the positive x direction.

Chestermiller said:
According to your diagram and equation, ##F_k## is the force exerted by the CV on the fluid in the positive x direction. Thus a negative value indicates that the force exerted by the CV on the fluid is actually in the negative x direction. Thus, by Newton's 3rd law, the force exerted by the fluid on the CV is in the positive x direction.
So it´s the CV exerting a force on the fluid and not the fluid exerting a force on the walls inside the CV?

Kqwert said:
So it´s the CV exerting a force on the fluid and not the fluid exerting a force on the walls inside the CV?
You're aware of Newton's 3rd law, correct?

In your diagram, with the vector arrows drawn the why you have shown them, what are you calling Fk?
(a). the force exerted by the control volume on the fluid or
(b). the force exerted by the fluid on the control volume

Chestermiller said:
In your diagram, with the vector arrows drawn the why you have shown them, what are you calling Fk?
(a). the force exerted by the control volume on the fluid or
(b). the force exerted by the fluid on the control volume
Yes I am. The way I have drawn Fk I mean alternative (b)

Kqwert said:
Yes I am. The way I have drawn Fk I mean alternative (b)
In that case, the force in the positive x direction exerted by the control volume on the fluid is -Fk. So the macroscopic balance on the fluid should read: $$P_1A_1-F_k-P_2A_2=\dot{m}(v_2-v_1)$$where ##\dot{m}## is the mass flow rate, given by:
$$\dot{m}=\rho v_1A_1=\rho v_2A_2$$The right hand side of this equation represents the rate of change of momentum of the fluid within the control volume.

Chestermiller said:
In that case, the force in the positive x direction exerted by the control volume on the fluid is -Fk. So the macroscopic balance on the fluid should read: $$P_1A_1-F_k-P_2A_2=\dot{m}(v_2-v_1)$$where ##\dot{m}## is the mass flow rate, given by:
$$\dot{m}=\rho v_1A_1=\rho v_2A_2$$The right hand side of this equation represents the rate of change of momentum of the fluid within the control volume.
Thank you. Just to be sure: by "force exerted by control volume on fluid", would that be the same as the force from the wall (inside the CV) on the fluid?

Kqwert said:
Thank you. Just to be sure: by "force exerted by control volume on fluid", would that be the same as the force from the wall (inside the CV) on the fluid?
Sure.

Kqwert said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 225725

I have a situation as illustrated by the image above, where the red box illustrates the CV. The pressure on the left side of CV is P1, while the pressure on the right side of CV is P2. Here I´ve directed the pressure forces acting inwards on CV. The problem arises with Fk. I am interested in the force acting from the water ON the wall. Sum of forces in x-direction:

Fsigma = P1*A1 + Fk - P2*A2.

The answer manual however want´s Fk to be negative. Where am I wrong?

What is a "CV"?

Ray Vickson said:
What is a "CV"?
CV stands for”control volume.” It is usually a specified section of a device through which a fluid is flowing.

Chestermiller said:

Just to be completely sure.

In the example I have given, where Fk is pointing in the positive x direction. If we solve for Fk and it is positive, we have found the force from the fluid ON the wall. If this Fk turns out to be negative, we have found the force from the wall ON the fluid. By Newton´s 3rd law the force from the fluid would then be equally large in the positive direction and be positive. Is my reasoning correct?

Kqwert said:
Just to be completely sure.

In the example I have given, where Fk is pointing in the positive x direction. If we solve for Fk and it is positive, we have found the force from the fluid ON the wall. If this Fk turns out to be negative, we have found the force from the wall ON the fluid. By Newton´s 3rd law the force from the fluid would then be equally large in the positive direction and be positive. Is my reasoning correct?
The first thing we need to do is declare at the outset whether the force vector we have drawn in the figure is the force exerted by the wall on the fluid or the force exerted by the fluid on the wall. These constitute an action-reaction pair. If you are doing a macroscopic momentum balance on the fluid, it would be better to show only those forces that are acting on the fluid (not on the wall). Then, if you next want to do a force balance on the wall, it would be better to have a second diagram showing only those forces that are acting on the wall (not on the fluid). This will help you avoid any ambiguity. After all, this is the procedure we used in freshman physics when we did force balances using free body diagrams.

Related to Control volume, Fluid mechanics

1. What is a control volume in fluid mechanics?

A control volume is a specific region in a fluid flow system that is chosen for analysis. It is an imaginary boundary that encloses a specific area of interest, and it can be either fixed or moving. Control volumes are used to study the movement and behavior of fluids within a given system.

2. How is the mass flow rate calculated in a control volume analysis?

The mass flow rate in a control volume can be calculated by multiplying the fluid density by the velocity of the fluid and the cross-sectional area of the control volume. This equation is known as the continuity equation and is based on the principle of conservation of mass.

3. What is the significance of the Reynolds number in fluid mechanics?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity used in fluid mechanics to determine whether the flow of a fluid is laminar or turbulent. It is calculated by dividing the product of the fluid velocity, characteristic length, and fluid density by the fluid viscosity. A high Reynolds number indicates turbulent flow, while a low Reynolds number indicates laminar flow.

4. How does the Bernoulli's equation apply to control volume analysis?

The Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline, is an important tool in control volume analysis. It can be used to determine the pressure, velocity, and elevation changes of a fluid as it flows through a control volume.

5. What are some common applications of control volume analysis in engineering?

Control volume analysis is used in a wide range of engineering applications, including the design of pumps, turbines, and compressors. It is also used in the analysis of fluid flow in pipes, channels, and nozzles, and can be applied to study the aerodynamics of aircraft and vehicles.