Control System Design for Boost Converter

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with designing a control system for a boost converter for an undergraduate final year project. The system has been built in MATLAB using the basic boost equation and partial differentiation, but it is still 100V away from the desired setpoint. The increase in input voltage also causes the output voltage to change. The controller and graph at 350Vin have been attached. The next step is to adjust the P and I gains of the controller, but the person must show their work first as no one will do the homework for them on PF.
Scorael
Hi guys,
I have this problem for my undergrad final year project. I'm trying to design a control system to regulate the voltage output for a boost converter and I am not too familliar with control theory.

I've built the control system in MATLAB based on the basic boost equation [tex]\frac{1}{1-D}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{Vout}{Vin}[/tex] and partial differentiated it to get the small-signal relationship but it is still about 100V away from the setpoint. Furthermore, increasing the input voltage causes the output voltage to change.

I've attached the control system and the graph I obtained at around 350Vin. The setpoint is 750VDC

Attachments

• CS.JPG
    CS.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 516
  • graph.JPG
    graph.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 494
Engineering news on Phys.org
OK, that control system can work. Next step; how do you adjust the P and I gains of the controller?

On PF, we don't do your homework for you. You must show your work fisrt.

Related to Control System Design for Boost Converter

1. What is a boost converter?

A boost converter is a type of DC-DC power converter that is used to step up the input voltage to a higher output voltage. It is commonly used in electronic devices to regulate and stabilize the output voltage, especially in battery-powered systems.

2. How does a boost converter work?

A boost converter works by using a switch, usually a transistor, to rapidly turn the input voltage on and off. This creates a pulsating current that is fed through an inductor, which stores energy. The inductor then releases this energy to the output capacitor, resulting in a higher output voltage.

3. What are the main components of a boost converter?

The main components of a boost converter include an inductor, a switch (such as a transistor), a diode, and a capacitor. The inductor and capacitor work together to store and release energy, while the switch and diode control the flow of current.

4. How is control system design used in boost converters?

Control system design is used in boost converters to regulate and stabilize the output voltage. This involves designing a feedback control loop that continuously monitors and adjusts the input voltage or duty cycle of the switch to ensure the desired output voltage is maintained.

5. What are the key considerations in control system design for boost converters?

The key considerations in control system design for boost converters include the choice of control strategy, the type of feedback circuit, the selection of components, and the stability of the system. Other factors to consider include cost, efficiency, and the desired performance of the converter.