Control of electrical equipment via phone/internet

In summary, the speaker is a 19-year-old interested in pursuing a degree in Electrical & Electronics engineering. They have some practical skills from working with their dad but still have a lot to learn in terms of theory. They have heard about companies controlling water/waste management stations through the internet/mobile phone and have seen similar technology used for home lighting and surveillance. They are curious about the feasibility and mechanics of this type of control system and are interested in how it can be used in industrial settings. The speaker also provides an example of a non-proprietary control system.
AlexStark
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm only 19 years old but I want to major in Electrical & Electronics engineering. So besides some practical skill I've learned from working with my dad I have a lot to learn especially in terms of theory. During my experience I've heard a few companies mention controlling water/waste management stations via internet/mobile phone. I've seen commercials in which a person can control the lighting of his own home and even surveillance from a mobile phone but not something as big as an entire plant.

Is this done anywhere in the world? How does this even work? Regulating water and air pressure through mobile/internet, It seems really interesting to me that one can sit in an office and just click a button to turn off and on or even increase or decrease values to devices.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure, most industrial controls these days are digital (computerized), so the location of the front end (interface terminal) is arbitrary. And most interfaces are java or web based, so they can be used on a variety of platforms as well.

Here's an example of a non proprietary control system: http://www.tridium.com

Related to Control of electrical equipment via phone/internet

1. How does controlling electrical equipment via phone/internet work?

Controlling electrical equipment via phone/internet involves using an app or web interface to connect to a smart device, such as a smart plug or smart thermostat, that is connected to the internet. Through this connection, you can send commands to turn on or off the electrical equipment remotely.

2. Is it safe to control electrical equipment through the phone/internet?

Yes, it is generally safe to control electrical equipment through the phone/internet as long as the devices are properly installed and maintained. It is important to use devices from reputable companies and follow all safety precautions to prevent any potential hazards.

3. What are the benefits of controlling electrical equipment via phone/internet?

The main benefits of controlling electrical equipment via phone/internet include convenience, energy efficiency, and increased control. With this technology, you can easily turn off appliances or lights that were accidentally left on, schedule devices to turn on or off at specific times, and monitor energy usage.

4. Can I control all types of electrical equipment via phone/internet?

Not all electrical equipment can be controlled through the phone/internet. It depends on whether the device is equipped with smart technology and can connect to the internet. However, there are many smart devices available that can control a variety of electrical equipment, such as lights, thermostats, and appliances.

5. Is there a limit to how far away I can control my electrical equipment through the phone/internet?

The range of control for electrical equipment through the phone/internet depends on the strength of your internet connection and the capabilities of your smart devices. In general, as long as you have a stable internet connection, you can control your devices from anywhere in the world.