Control direction of laser beam

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of electronically controlling the direction of a laser beam without mechanical parts. The options considered are using electro-optic crystal materials or acousto-optic modulators. The questions raised are whether anyone has done this before, the best way to do it, where to obtain supplies, and if there are any electronic diagrams available. The response suggests using galvos as they have a fast response and are more cost-effective, but also mentions that EOM and AOM devices can be used. The website photonics.com is recommended for finding the necessary components.
topher3638
Hey all,

I am currently trying to figure out how I can control the direction of a laser beam. Galvos are widely used in order to electronically change the direction of the beam. Although, I was hoping to find a way to do this without mechanical parts.

There are two ways I have looked at for alternative ways to change the direction of the beam without a galvo:

1) Use some kind of electro-optic crystal material to dynamically change the refractive index of the material, which will bend the beam at different angles. For example, I hear this might be done by applying a voltage or electric field to a Lithium Niobate crystal.

2) Use something like a acousto-optic modulator, to diffract the beam at different angles based upon some input frequency.

So here's the question(s):

-Has anyone ever done this kind of thing before?
-Whats the best way to electronically bend a laser beam without mechanical parts?
-Where do you get supplies to make this, like the LiNiO3 crystals?
-Are there any electronic diagrams for connecting this up?

I feel like there is a lot of information about these effects, but not the right information to actually set it up.

Anything is appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris M

Engineering news on Phys.org
Either method will work. You might want to check out http://www.photonics.com/" .

Hope this helps you find the components you'll need.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris:

Assuming that you wish to dynamically alter the beam path, use a galvo - it's probably the best thing to use, especially if you want to move the beam by a large angle. They also have a fast response. EOM and AOM devices will work, but they are (usually) more expensive (especially the drivers) and a bit more complex to integrate into your optics, although the modulation can be driven faster. Personally I'd always rather use galvos if I could help it, but that might be my foible. If you just want a static method of doing it, use ordinary mirrors.

Related to Control direction of laser beam

What is the purpose of controlling the direction of a laser beam?

The ability to control the direction of a laser beam is important in many applications, such as laser cutting, laser welding, and laser communication. It allows for precision and accuracy in targeting a specific area or object.

What are the methods used to control the direction of a laser beam?

There are several methods for controlling the direction of a laser beam, including the use of mirrors, lenses, prisms, and diffraction gratings. These techniques manipulate the path of the laser beam, redirecting it in a desired direction.

How does the angle of incidence affect the direction of a laser beam?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which a laser beam hits a surface, plays a critical role in controlling its direction. By adjusting the angle, the laser beam can be reflected or refracted to change its direction of travel.

Can the direction of a laser beam be changed after it is emitted?

Yes, the direction of a laser beam can be changed after it is emitted. This is achieved through the use of various optical components, as well as by manipulating the laser's wavelength and intensity.

What are the factors that affect the precision of controlling the direction of a laser beam?

The precision of controlling the direction of a laser beam can be affected by factors such as the quality of the optical components used, environmental conditions like temperature and humidity, and the stability and accuracy of the laser itself.