Control BLDC Motor with 555 Timer: Tutorial & Schematics

• Thread starter MRClark32493
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bldc
In summary, the conversation is about controlling a Brushless DC Motor with a 555 Timer. The suggested method is to use pulse-width modulation to vary the speed by changing the duty cycle of the square wave output from the 555. A schematic is provided for this method. It is also mentioned that a pot can be used to control the speed, and a transistor may be needed if the motor requires more than 200mA.
MRClark32493
I have read that it is possible to control a Brushless DC Motor With A 555 Timer, However I Do Not Know How To Accomplish This, And Have Been Unable To Find Any Schematics For This. Could Someone Please Explain To Me How To Do This And Provide Images Or Schematics. Also, If It Is Not Possible To Accomplish With The 555 Timer, Then Could You Please Direct Me In Another Location To Easily Control A Brushless DC Motor.
Thanks
~Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want to use pulse-width modulation. You can variably change the motors speed by changing the "duty-cycle" of the square wave output from the 555. Here is a simple schematic which will vary the frequency as well as the duty cycle, although that shouldn't make much of a difference (the % high time is really all that matters after about 30Hz).

pulsewidthmodulator.png

The optional diode from pins 7 to 2/6 will allow you to get a duty cycle of lower than 55%.

Ok, thank you. Now just to make sure that i got this correct,
I supply my voltage to 8
The speed is controlled by a pot between 7/6
And my output is between 3 and ground.
I am fairly new to EE so i would just like to double check everything.
Thanks
~Matt

Yeah that's correct. If your motor needs more than 200mA you might need a transistor.

Related to Control BLDC Motor with 555 Timer: Tutorial & Schematics

1. How does a BLDC motor work?

A BLDC (brushless DC) motor works by using a series of permanent magnets on the rotor and electromagnets on the stator. The electromagnets are powered by an external power source, such as a battery, and are controlled by an electronic controller. The controller sends signals to the electromagnets to change their polarity, which in turn causes the rotor to rotate.

2. What is a 555 timer and how does it control a BLDC motor?

A 555 timer is an integrated circuit that can be used to generate precise and stable timing signals. In the context of controlling a BLDC motor, the 555 timer is used to generate pulses that control the switching of the electromagnets in the motor. By adjusting the timing of these pulses, the speed and direction of the motor can be controlled.

3. What are the advantages of using a 555 timer to control a BLDC motor?

One of the main advantages of using a 555 timer to control a BLDC motor is its simplicity and low cost. The 555 timer is a widely available and inexpensive component, making it accessible for hobbyists and DIY projects. Additionally, the 555 timer can generate precise and stable timing signals, making it suitable for controlling the speed and direction of a motor.

4. Are there any limitations to using a 555 timer to control a BLDC motor?

While the 555 timer can be a useful and cost-effective option for controlling a BLDC motor, it does have some limitations. For instance, the 555 timer can only generate square wave signals, which may not be ideal for some applications. Additionally, the 555 timer can only control the speed and direction of a single motor, so it may not be suitable for more complex motor control systems.

5. Can I use a 555 timer to control other types of motors?

Yes, a 555 timer can be used to control other types of motors, such as DC motors and stepper motors. However, the circuit design and control techniques may differ depending on the type of motor being used. It is important to consult relevant resources and properly understand the principles of motor control before attempting to use a 555 timer or any other component.