Control Bandwidth & Closed Loop Bandwidth Meaning?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of control bandwidth and its relationship to closed loop bandwidth. The participants discuss the concept of control bandwidth and how it can be improved by increasing the DC gain of the system by 40 dB. They also mention the importance of phase and gain margin in such systems and explain that the control bandwidth is where the magnitude becomes less than 0 dB. The conversation also touches upon the effect of poles and zeros on the system and how they can be manipulated to achieve a desired control bandwidth.
koochiee
Can anyone tell me if Control bandwidth and closed loop bandwidth means the same thing? If not what does control bandwidth mean?
Please & Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A photo showing the context of "control bandwdth" usage might be helpful.

The Bode Plot below was given and, I've marked for the Gain Margin & Phase Margin. They're asking how much the gain should be improved to get the Control Bandwidth to 3 rad/s.

Attachments

• Bode.png
    Bode.png
    52 KB · Views: 941
It probably does mean the closed loop bandwidth. So how will you answer it?

They actually used the word "improved"??

Actually it was the gain required to improve control BW to 3 rad/s. And I first thought that I'd shift the gain curve 40dBs (according to the figure). But I'm not quite certain. I would really appreciate any help.

koochiee your hypothesis is correct. The easiest way to increase the bandwidth is to increase the dc gain on the system by 40 dB.

Likes 1 person
Thank you donpacino! Can you explain how this happens? How control bandwidth increases when the gain is increased. From looking at the figure I can say how much I should increase the gain by (40dB). But physically how do I interpret it? I've looked through my notes and textbooks and I can't find anything on control bandwidth, and I've also sent my teacher an email. I have to wait until next week to get an answer. And I can't finish this sum until then :( Again thank you for the responses.

donpacino said:
koochiee your hypothesis is correct. The easiest way to increase the bandwidth is to increase the dc gain on the system by 40 dB.
Careful! The graph doesn't show DC gain ...

DC ~ very low frequency. I am assuming that the magnitude and phase stays constant at frequencies < 0.001.
Even if the magnitude and phase did crazy things outside the scope of the graph, the effects of increase the DC gain by 10 dB would be the same (assuming the system isn't changed in some other way)

In systems such as these your phase and gain margin are very important.
Basically all you need to know for now is that your control bandwidth is either where the magnitude becomes less than 0 dB (I think you already knew that).

Your system has a pole at ~0.2 rad/s. that means that frequency after 0.2 rad/s is going to decrease from the dc gain by 20 db/dec (dec=decade). The effect that a pole or zero has on a system is independent of the other poles or zeros or dc gain of the system. This means that regaurdless of the DC gain, after the pole the gain will drop by a factor of 20 db/dec.

If you want to change the control bandwidth to 6 rad/s, you need to move the zero crossover frequency to 6 rad/s. The magnitude at 6 rad/s in the base system is -40 dB. Therefore you need to add 40 dB.

The control bandwidth is the bandwidth in which signals will have a meaningful effect on the circuit. With this system, if there is a 1 GHz signal (say from a wifi router nearby) you can see that it will have zero effect on your circuit (which is a good thing). However if there is somehow a 0.01 Hz signal, it will be amplified in your system.

does that make sense?

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your response.

Related to Control Bandwidth & Closed Loop Bandwidth Meaning?

1. What is control bandwidth?

Control bandwidth refers to the range of frequencies or data rates that a control system can effectively handle and respond to. It is an important consideration in designing feedback control systems, as a wider control bandwidth allows for faster and more accurate responses.

2. How is control bandwidth related to closed loop bandwidth?

Control bandwidth and closed loop bandwidth are closely related, as the latter is a measure of the bandwidth of the feedback loop in a control system. Closed loop bandwidth is typically narrower than control bandwidth, as it takes into account the delays and limitations of the feedback loop in a control system.

3. What is the significance of control bandwidth in control system design?

The control bandwidth of a system determines its ability to effectively respond to changes or disturbances in the controlled variable. A wider control bandwidth allows for faster and more accurate responses, but it also requires more complex and expensive control systems. Therefore, control bandwidth is an important factor to consider in the design of control systems, balancing performance and cost.

4. How is control bandwidth measured?

Control bandwidth can be measured in hertz (Hz) or bits per second (bps), depending on the type of system. In electrical control systems, it is often measured in Hz, while in data communication systems, it is measured in bps. The control bandwidth can be determined through experiments or simulations, and it can also be calculated from the system's transfer function.

5. What factors influence the control bandwidth of a system?

The control bandwidth of a system is influenced by various factors, such as the type of control algorithm used, the speed and accuracy of sensors and actuators, and the processing capabilities of the control system. Other external factors, such as noise and disturbances, can also affect the control bandwidth. Additionally, the physical limitations of the system, such as its inertia and response time, can also impact the control bandwidth.