Control an inkjet cartige

• Thread starter hananl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, Hanan is looking for a way to control the inkjet cartridge with pulse signals instead of the computer. She wants to be able to "shoot" ink droplets from all the nozzles at the same time. She needs to know how to operate each of the pizo crystals, and then to operate them all. Reverse engineering something like a ThinkJet cartridge can be difficult, especially when a big company like HP has put so much R&D into getting the technology to work well. Hanan also looked for a way to control the inkjet cartridge with pulse signals, but found that it was difficult. She found a different approach that she may try: patent search on inkjet technology.
hananl
I would be very happy if there is anyone that knows a way to control the inkjet cartige with pulse signals instead of the computer.
I want to be able to "shoot" ink droplets from all the nozzles at the same time. I need to know how to operate each of the pizo crystals, and then to operate them all.
Anyone?
Thanks,
Hanan.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you planning to somehow dismantle the catridge without destroying it? If you plan to say... take the catridge out of the printer and connect your own circuit to the input circuitry, I think it would turn out quite impossiblish. The signals are encoded and unique to the company that made it. You would have to know what signal to feed it to make it do something.

Or on the other hand, you may be planning to drive the printer from a non-Word program?

hananl said:
I would be very happy if there is anyone that knows a way to control the inkjet cartige with pulse signals instead of the computer.
I want to be able to "shoot" ink droplets from all the nozzles at the same time. I need to know how to operate each of the pizo crystals, and then to operate them all.
Anyone?
Thanks,
Hanan.
Reverse engineering something like a ThinkJet cartridge can be difficult, especially when a big company like HP has put so much R&D into getting the technology to work well. You can try monitoring the drive signals with your oscilloscope while the printer runs, but that will be pretty hard to instrument. I did a google search on the following and got some good hits, including the one after the search text:

+inkjet +drive +circuit

http://powerelectronics.com/mag/power_power_amplifier_drives/

Another approach that you might try would be to do a patent search on inkjet technology. HP and Xerox and whoever else is big on the research will typically patent some of the technology, and keep other parts proprietary. But the Patent literature may give you enough to do simple stuff with the cartridges (certainly not photo quality, though).

I believe hananl's application is to adapt a printer cartridge as an injector of microscopic organisms in suspension. See hananl's related post

Related to Control an inkjet cartige

1. How do inkjet cartridges work?

Inkjet cartridges work by using tiny nozzles to spray droplets of ink onto the paper in a specific pattern, creating images or text. The cartridges are connected to a print head, which heats up the ink and propels it onto the paper.

2. Can I refill my inkjet cartridge?

It is possible to refill inkjet cartridges, but it is not recommended. The quality of the ink may not be as good as the original and refilling can also cause damage to the cartridge and printer. It is best to purchase new cartridges from a reputable source.

3. How do I know when to replace my inkjet cartridge?

Most printers have a warning system that will indicate when the ink levels are low. Some printers may also display a message when the cartridge needs to be replaced. It is important to replace the cartridge when it is low to avoid damage to the printer.

4. How do I properly store inkjet cartridges?

Inkjet cartridges should be stored in a cool, dry place and in an upright position. Avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight. It is also important to keep them in their original packaging until ready to use to prevent them from drying out.

5. How can I extend the life of my inkjet cartridge?

To extend the life of your inkjet cartridge, use your printer regularly. This prevents the ink from drying out and clogging the nozzles. Also, make sure to properly clean the print head and perform regular maintenance on your printer. Additionally, using high-quality paper and avoiding printing unnecessary documents can also help prolong the life of your cartridge.