Contribution of the air in the jet aircraft engine

In summary, the total forward force on an engine is given by a change of momentum, which is written as ##P = \mu_{fuel}v_{0} + \mu_{air}(v_{0}-v)##. This means that the rate of decrease of mass of the fuel being burnt, the rate at which the air is being carried through the engine, the velocity of the material ejected by the engine, and the velocity of the aircraft all contribute to the change in momentum. The main function of the fuel is to give the ejected gases a high speed with respect to the plane, while most of the moving mass is supplied by the air. The difference between the velocity of the air entering the engine and the velocity of the
duarthiago
I've read that the total forward force on an engine is given by a change of momentum which is written as ##P = \mu_{fuel}v_{0} + \mu_{air}(v_{0}-v) ##, where ##\mu_{fuel}##, ##\mu_{air}##, ##v_{0}## and ##v## are respectively the rate of decrease of mass of the fuel being burnt, the rate which the air is being carried through the engine, the velocity of the material ejected by the engine and finally the velocity of the aircraft.

The book where I read it says that "The main function of the fuel that is carried with the plane is to give the ejected gases a high speed with respect to the plane, and most of the moving mass is supplied by the air" but I really don't understood it, I mean, I can't visualize it. I would to know what that ##\mu_{air}(v_{0}-v)## physically means. I thought the change of momentum was due only by the fuel burnt.

Science news on Phys.org
##v_{0}## would be the velocity of the air as it enters the engine, not the velocity of the air as it passes through the engine. The difference between ##v_{0}## and ##v## would be the change in velocity of air resulting from its passing through the engine. Multiply by ##\mu_{air}## and you have the rate at which [rearward] momentum is being imparted to the air.

duarthiago said:
I thought the change of momentum was due only by the fuel burnt.
Energy comes from the reaction. Momentum goes mostly to the air.

A.T. said:
Energy comes from the reaction. Momentum goes mostly to the air.
Unlike a rocket engine that has to provide the chemical power and all the propellant mass.

jbriggs444 said:
##v_{0}## would be the velocity of the air as it enters the engine, not the velocity of the air as it passes through the engine. The difference between ##v_{0}## and ##v## would be the change in velocity of air resulting from its passing through the engine. Multiply by ##\mu_{air}## and you have the rate at which [rearward] momentum is being imparted to the air.
I don't know about ##v_{0}##, the book seems quite clear about it be the velocity of the ejected material, although what you said fits with the diagram that I have here, with ##v## being the velocity of the air entering the engine. So what is happening is that the change of velocity of air which passes through the engine (and that change is possible thanks to the energy provided by the burnt) and the loss of fuel mass escaping with the same velocity of the air are the factors that produce the change of momentum of the aircraft?

duarthiago said:
I don't know about ##v_{0}##, the book seems quite clear about it be the velocity of the ejected material, although what you said fits with the diagram that I have here, with ##v## being the velocity of the air entering the engine. So what is happening is that the change of velocity of air which passes through the engine (and that change is possible thanks to the energy provided by the burnt) and the loss of fuel mass escaping with the same velocity of the air are the factors that produce the change of momentum of the aircraft?

You are correct. I had reversed ##v_{0}## and ##v##.

Very well! Thank you everyone.

sophiecentaur said:
Unlike a rocket engine that has to provide the chemical power and all the propellant mass.
Yes, the other extreme is a piston engine with a propeller, where basically all the momentum is going to the air. Jet engines are in between those two extremes.

Related to Contribution of the air in the jet aircraft engine

1. How does the air contribute to the function of a jet aircraft engine?

The air is a crucial component in the function of a jet aircraft engine. It is used to generate thrust, which is necessary for the movement of the aircraft. The engine takes in air, compresses it, mixes it with fuel, and then ignites it to create a high-velocity jet of gases that propels the aircraft forward.

2. How does the amount of air affect the performance of a jet aircraft engine?

The amount of air flowing through a jet aircraft engine directly impacts its performance. A higher volume of air allows for more fuel to be burned, resulting in more thrust and a faster speed. However, too much air can also cause the engine to stall, while too little air can lead to a decrease in performance.

3. What role does the shape of the air intake play in the function of a jet aircraft engine?

The shape of the air intake is crucial in the function of a jet aircraft engine. It is designed to compress and control the flow of air into the engine at high speeds, ensuring that the correct amount of air is entering the engine to maintain optimal performance. The shape of the air intake also helps to reduce drag and improve the efficiency of the engine.

4. How does the temperature of the air affect the performance of a jet aircraft engine?

The temperature of the air can have a significant impact on the performance of a jet aircraft engine. Colder air is denser and contains more oxygen, which allows for more fuel to be burned, resulting in increased thrust and performance. On the other hand, warmer air is less dense and contains less oxygen, which can lead to a decrease in performance.

5. How does the air contribute to the cooling system of a jet aircraft engine?

The air plays a crucial role in the cooling system of a jet aircraft engine. As the engine runs, it generates a significant amount of heat, which needs to be dissipated to prevent damage. The air flowing through the engine helps to cool the various components, such as the combustion chamber and turbine, by carrying away the excess heat and maintaining a safe operating temperature.