Contribute to McGill's "Crossnumbers" Math Magazine!

In summary, a student at McGill University is starting an undergraduate math magazine and is looking for contributions. One idea is a section called 'Crossnumbers' where numbers are filled in based on clues. Some interesting numbers have already been suggested, but more contributions are welcome. The magazine will be published and distributed for free to students.
Dragonfall
This is probably in the wrong section. Anyway, McGill's starting an 'undergrad math magazine' in which I want to contribute a little something I came up called 'Crossnumbers' in its recreation section. The idea is really self-explanatory. I've come up with a few 'interesting' integers already, but if you can think up of something, please contribute! :smile:

The numbers are to be filled in. The clues are on the right. For example:

999999: The Feynman Point

1729: Smallest integer expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways

762: The position in the decimal expansion of a certain number at which the Feynman point occurs

4294967297: First non-prime Fermat number

7427466391: First ten-digit prime in the decimal expansion of e

etc.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sounds like fun. Is this going to be a published magazine?

1729: Smallest integer expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways
Not true! 0 is expressible as the sum of 2 cubes in 2 different ways, as is -1729, and... :wink:

Ah... but what is the smallest positive non-interesting number?

Come, we all know there is no such thing.

Since the fact that it was the smallest non-interesting number makes it "interesting". (Where "interesting" is defined as "having a property no other number has".)

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll be published and given away for free, for McGill students anyway.

Related to Contribute to McGill's "Crossnumbers" Math Magazine!

1. What is "Crossnumbers" Math Magazine?

"Crossnumbers" Math Magazine is a publication by McGill University that features a collection of math puzzles, problems, and articles written by students, professors, and other contributors. It aims to promote creativity, critical thinking, and mathematical curiosity among readers.

2. How can I contribute to "Crossnumbers" Math Magazine?

There are several ways to contribute to "Crossnumbers" Math Magazine. You can submit your original math puzzles, problems, or articles for publication. You can also join the editorial team or provide feedback and suggestions for improvement.

3. What types of content are accepted for publication in "Crossnumbers" Math Magazine?

"Crossnumbers" Math Magazine welcomes a wide range of content related to mathematics, including puzzles, problems, articles, reviews, and interviews. The content should be original, engaging, and accessible to a general audience.

4. How can I access "Crossnumbers" Math Magazine?

"Crossnumbers" Math Magazine is available both in print and online. The print version can be found in select libraries and math departments at McGill University. The online version can be accessed through the McGill Science Undergraduate Society website or the "Crossnumbers" Math Magazine Facebook page.

5. Can I use content from "Crossnumbers" Math Magazine for my own publications?

All content published in "Crossnumbers" Math Magazine is protected by copyright and should not be reproduced without proper permission and attribution. However, you may use the content for educational or non-commercial purposes with proper citation.