Contraction in the Riemann Tensor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of contraction in a specific expression and how it applies to general tensors. The solution to understanding the expression involves summing over a certain variable.
Fraser
Hi all,

I'm trying to follow through some of my notes of a GR course. The notes are working towards a specific expression and the following line appears:

[tex]R^{\alpha \beta}_{\gamma \delta ; \mu} + R^{\alpha \beta}_{\delta \mu ; \gamma} + R^{\alpha \beta}_{\mu \gamma ; \delta}=0[/tex]

Which by contraction over [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\gamma[/tex] becomes

[tex]R^{\alpha \beta}_{\alpha\delta ; \mu} + R^{\alpha \beta}_{\delta \mu ; \alpha} + R^{\alpha \beta}_{\mu \alpha; \delta}=0[/tex]

I'm afraid I don't understand this, it seems to relabel [tex]\gamma[/tex] with[tex]\alpha[/tex]. But how can we do this?

I do understand contraction in general, such that for a general tensor

[tex]T^{\alpha}_{\beta}=T^{\rho \alpha }_{\beta \rho} [/tex]

But I don't see how this has been applied here?

Thanks in advance

p.s If this is more of a general maths question then please move to the appropriate forum

Physics news on Phys.org
From your first equation,

[tex]
\delta^\gamma_\alpha \left( R^{\alpha \beta}_{\gamma \delta ; \mu} + R^{\alpha \beta}_{\delta \mu ; \gamma} + R^{\alpha \beta}_{\mu \gamma ; \delta} \right)=0
[/tex]

Now do the sum over [itex]\gamma[/itex].

Wow, thank you! 4 of us working together didn't think of that :(

Related to Contraction in the Riemann Tensor

1. What is the Riemann tensor?

The Riemann tensor is a mathematical object used to describe the curvature of a manifold, which is a space that may have more than three dimensions. It is important in the field of general relativity and is used to understand how gravity affects the shape of the universe.

2. How is the Riemann tensor calculated?

The Riemann tensor is calculated using partial derivatives of the metric tensor, which describes how distances are measured in a given space. It involves taking multiple derivatives of the metric tensor and combining them in a specific way.

3. What does "contraction" refer to in the Riemann tensor?

In the Riemann tensor, contraction refers to summing over two indices and then equating them to a single index. This process is used to simplify the tensor and make it easier to work with.

4. What is the physical significance of contraction in the Riemann tensor?

The value of contraction in the Riemann tensor is related to the amount of curvature in a given space. A higher contraction value indicates a stronger curvature, which can have implications for the behavior of objects in that space, such as the path of a moving object or the effects of gravity.

5. How is contraction used in physics and cosmology?

In physics and cosmology, contraction in the Riemann tensor is used to understand the curvature of the universe and how it affects the behavior of matter and energy. It is also used in the equations of general relativity to describe the effects of gravity on spacetime.