Continuum Mechanics: Rigid Heat Conductor

In summary, the problem involves determining the thermodynamic restrictions for a rigid heat conductor defined by the constitutive equations for \psi, \eta, and \textbf{q}. The material derivative and chain rule are used to find the restrictions for \psi, while the starting place for \eta is less clear. However, after plugging in \dot{\psi} into the relevant equation and setting \textbf{T}:\textbf{D}=0, it is found that \hat{\eta}=-\frac{\partial \hat{\psi(\theta)}}{\partial \theta}. The equation for \textbf{q} is \textbf{q}=-\textbf{K}\textbf{g}. After discussing
LightofAether

Homework Statement

Determine the thermodynamic restrictions for a rigid heat conductor defined by the constitutive equations:
[tex]\DeclareMathOperator{\grad}{grad}\psi = \hat{\psi}\left(\theta,\grad \theta, \grad \grad \theta\right) \\
\eta = \hat{\eta}\left(\theta,\grad \theta, \grad \grad \theta\right)\\
\textbf{q} = \hat{\textbf{q}}\left(\theta,\grad \theta, \grad \grad \theta\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[/B]
[tex]\rho \left( \dot{\psi}+\dot{\theta} \eta \right)-\textbf{T}:\textbf{D}+\frac{\textbf{q}}{\theta}\cdot \grad\theta\leq0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already found the thermodynamic restrictions for [itex]\psi[/itex] because it's straightforward (take the material derivative and apply the chain rule), but I don't know where to start for [itex]\eta[/itex] or [itex]\textbf{q}[/itex]. We're using the Coleman-Noll approach and I understand the procedure once I have [itex]\psi = \hat{\psi}\left(\theta,\grad \theta, \grad \grad \theta\right)=something[/itex], but I'm struggling with finding a good starting place for [itex]\eta[/itex]. From what my professor has said, it seems like they can be arbitrary as long as they contain [itex]\theta,\grad \theta, \grad \grad \theta[/itex]. That doesn't seem like a very good way to go about this, though. A result of plugging in [itex]\dot{\psi}[/itex] into the relevant equation above (with [itex]\textbf{T}:\textbf{D}=0[/itex] because it's rigid) is [itex]\hat{\eta}=-\frac{\partial \hat{\psi(\theta)}}{\partial \theta}[/itex]. Can I just plug that into the relevant equation above while keeping [itex]\dot{\psi}[/itex] as [itex]\dot{\psi}[/itex] to find the thermodynamic restrictions for [itex]\eta[/itex]? The equation for [itex]\textbf{q}[/itex] is probably [itex]\textbf{q}=-\textbf{K}\textbf{g}[/itex].

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I talked with my professor today and it turns out that I already finished the problem! Finding [itex]\dot{\psi}[/itex], plugging it in, and "solving" for the thermodynamic restrictions was the whole thing. Please consider this thread solved.

Related to Continuum Mechanics: Rigid Heat Conductor

1. What is Continuum Mechanics?

Continuum Mechanics is a branch of physics and mathematics that studies the behavior of materials in a continuous and homogeneous manner, rather than at the molecular or atomic level. It deals with the mechanical behavior of materials under different conditions, such as deformations, rotations, and heat transfer.

2. What is a Rigid Heat Conductor?

A Rigid Heat Conductor is a material that does not deform under the influence of heat, but rather transfers heat from one point to another without any change in shape or size. It is characterized by high thermal conductivity and low thermal expansion.

3. What are the applications of Continuum Mechanics in engineering?

Continuum Mechanics is widely used in engineering disciplines, such as civil, mechanical, and aerospace engineering, to analyze and design structures and systems. It is also applied in the fields of biomechanics, geomechanics, and fluid mechanics.

4. How does Continuum Mechanics differ from Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics deals with the behavior of individual particles or objects, while Continuum Mechanics considers the behavior of materials as a whole. Classical Mechanics uses Newton's laws of motion, while Continuum Mechanics uses the laws of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy.

5. What are the fundamental equations of Continuum Mechanics?

The fundamental equations of Continuum Mechanics include the conservation of mass, balance of linear momentum, balance of angular momentum, and the first and second laws of thermodynamics. These equations are used to describe the behavior of deformable materials under various loading and thermal conditions.