Before I attempt this next problem on sliding blocks

In summary, the conversation discusses two objects, A and B, placed on a frictionless surface. Object A weighs 1.5kg and B weighs 2.5kg, and a force of 8.0N is exerted on A and the opposite surface in contact with B. The summary includes two main questions: (1) determining the acceleration of both objects and (2) finding the force pushing on B. It is assumed that the force on A is generated by B, resulting in an equal and opposite force acting on B. The solution involves using the equation F=ma, with the given values for force and mass. However, the writer notes that the textbook is unclear and more information may be needed to fully understand
redshift
I'd like to make sure I understand it.
It reads...
"Two objects, A and B, are placed in contact with each other on a horizontal, frictionless surface. Object A weighs 1.5kg, and B weighs 2.5kg. If a force of 8.0N is exerted on the surface of object A in contact with B AND on the opposite surface, (1) determine the acceleration of A and B (2) determine the force pushing B."

Do you think this means 8.0N is applied to both objects A and B simultaneously?
(I assume "opposite surface" means the side of A opposite to that contacting B.

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel for you; I think the textbook writer is much too vague:

1)
You write:
I assume "opposite surface" means the side of A opposite to that contacting B

I also have that assumption..

2)
We now come to the heart of the matter:
Does there act a force on B equal to 8.0 N simultaneously with the force(s) acting on A?
This will be true if we ASSUME that the force on A on the contact side, is in fact, generated by B (nothing else makes much sense, I think).
Then, by Newton's 3.law, an equal, and opposite force acts upon B from A.

I believe this is what the problem writer is after..

Thanks again. Since the surface is frictionless this is what must be meant.

(1) its simply using F = ma, u are given F and m = the sum of the other 2

(2) i think for the second one you have to find the Force via F = ma again, however you have the acceleration and also the mass. not sure tho

1. What are sliding blocks?

Sliding blocks are objects that can move along a surface, often with the help of friction or an applied force.

2. How do sliding blocks work?

Sliding blocks work by utilizing forces such as friction and gravity to move along a surface. They can also be moved manually by applying a force.

3. What factors affect the movement of sliding blocks?

The movement of sliding blocks can be affected by various factors such as the surface material, the weight and shape of the block, and the presence of external forces such as friction or gravity.

4. What is the purpose of studying sliding blocks?

Studying sliding blocks allows scientists to understand the principles of motion and forces, which can be applied to real-world scenarios such as designing structures or predicting the movement of objects.

5. How can I solve a problem involving sliding blocks?

To solve a problem involving sliding blocks, you can use principles of physics such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of friction. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and consider all the forces acting on the block.