Continuous Nowhere, Continuous Everywhere: Tricky Function Example [0,1] Domain

In summary, the conversation is about finding a function that is continuous nowhere but its square is continuous everywhere but 0. The domain of the function is [0,1]. The participants discuss the possibility of defining the function piecewise and the concept of a "next number" after a given number in the continuum of real numbers. They also debate the relevance of this concept to the given problem.
Nebula
I was asked to find a function that is continuous nowhere but its square is continuous everywhere but 0. The domain of the function is [0,1].

I can't come up with an example...
Any help is appreaciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
if your allowed to define it piecewise:

f(x)=
1 for x rational
-1 for x irrational

and if it absolutely needs to be discontinuous at 0

0 for x=0

StatusX said:
if your allowed to define it piecewise:

f(x)=
1 for x rational
-1 for x irrational

and if it absolutely needs to be discontinuous at 0

0 for x=0

Hmm. That raises the question: If p is a number in [0, 1], what is the "next number" after p? Is it rational or irrational? It seems rather difficult to answer for a continuum! :-)

One of the properties of real numbers is that there is no next number.

Tide said:
Hmm. That raises the question: If p is a number in [0, 1], what is the "next number" after p? Is it rational or irrational? It seems rather difficult to answer for a continuum! :-)

How on Earth did you reach that conclusion?

Tide said:

On the contrary, it's very easy to answer: there is NO "next number" in the set of real numbers or the set of rational numbers. If there were, every subset would be "well ordered" and that's a property of integers, not rational or real numbers.

matt grime said:
How on Earth did you reach that conclusion?

Actually, it wasn't a conclusion. It was a question for StatusX to ponder in which he proposes a "solution" to Nebula's query by, in effect, making "every other number" change the sign of a function. The answer, of course, is that there is no "next number" in the continuum of reals. No matter how close two numbers are you can always find other numbers in between.

he wanted a function that was nowhere continous, so that's what i gave. i never said that rationals and irrationals alternate, if that's what you mean, which doesn't even make sense. all i mean is that the limit of f(x) as x goes to c does not exist for any c, and so does not equal f(c), so the function isn't continuous anywhere. maybe that's not the right way to define continuity, but i still think its obviously discontinous.

You did have a conclusion, tide: that the example 'raised the question'... how or why does it make you think of this question? The example does not make any such 'alternating sign every other number' argument. It is just +1 and -1 for two different dense subsets. Any such function is a solution, and there's no need to put quotation marks around the word as if it weren't.

There's no next number in the rationals either, and that isn't a continuum, but the question in my mind is still, 'what has this got to do with anything?'

By the defintion of continuity and the fact that the rationals and irrationals are both dense in R the function is obviously discontinious as at every point.

Related to Continuous Nowhere, Continuous Everywhere: Tricky Function Example [0,1] Domain

1. What is a tricky example of a function?

A tricky example of a function is one that may not follow the typical rules or patterns of other functions, making it difficult to solve or understand.

2. How do you identify a tricky function?

A tricky function can be identified by looking for patterns or trends that do not follow the expected behavior. It may also involve complex or unconventional mathematical operations.

3. Why are tricky functions important to study?

Tricky functions challenge our understanding of mathematical concepts and allow us to expand our problem-solving skills. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are some common strategies for solving tricky functions?

Some common strategies for solving tricky functions include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using substitution or manipulation techniques, and looking for symmetries or patterns in the function.

5. Can tricky functions have real-world applications?

Yes, tricky functions can have real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, the trigonometric functions used in navigation and the exponential functions used in finance are both considered tricky functions.