Continuous Lensing Models: Discrete Data

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a relation for determining the mass profile of a lens from a measurement of the tangential shear. The questioner has simulated data for a Singular Isothermal Sphere and is unsure how to quantify the error in their method of computing a ring average. The response suggests using simple or error-weighted averages and mentions maximum likelihood methods as a more advanced option.
BOAS
Hello,

I am not sure if this question is better suited to the mathematics section, but I thought it would be easier to explain the problem here.

In Schneider, Kochanek and Wambsganss's "Gravitational Lensing: Strong Weak and Micro" pages 279-280, they derive a relation for determining the azimuthally averaged mass profile of a lens, from a measurement of the tangential shear averaged over concentric circles.

$$\langle \gamma_t \rangle = \bar \kappa - \langle \kappa \rangle$$

where ##\bar \kappa## is the disc average of the convergence and ##\langle \kappa \rangle## is the ring average of the convergence.

I have some simulated data for a Singular Isothermal Sphere that I am trying to analyse. The data consists of 10,000 spatially distributed points, each with shear values.

Evidently, when I compute a ring average with my data, I am actually averaging a discrete number of data points over an annulus, not a continuous field over a ring. I'm not sure how to approach quantifying the error in this method, or adapting the analysis for discrete data. Are there standard methods to approach this kind of problem? I essentially have a discretely sampled dataset of a continuous field, but I don't think I can assume all the same relations will apply to my data as they do the fields.

I hope that my question makes sense, and if I need to provide any more information to make things clearer i'd be happy to do so.

Many thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
As it looks like you're just taking simple averages, if the data points all have the same error ##\sigma_d##, then the error on the average is simple:

$$\sigma_{\langle d \rangle} = {\sigma_d \over \sqrt{N}}$$

If the data points don't have the same errors, then you can do an error-weighted average:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted_arithmetic_mean#Dealing_with_variance

Note that for doing this kind of thing in general, you may want to learn about maximum likelihood methods. These are the preferred techniques for more complicated examples where we want to use discrete data points to estimate a continuous model. This particular model seems simple enough that you can just use error-weighted averages, though.

Related to Continuous Lensing Models: Discrete Data

1. What is a continuous lensing model?

A continuous lensing model is a mathematical framework used to describe the gravitational lensing effect, where a massive object bends the path of light from a background source. It takes into account the continuous distribution of mass in the lensing object, rather than treating it as a single point mass.

2. How does a continuous lensing model differ from a discrete lensing model?

A discrete lensing model assumes that the mass of the lensing object is concentrated at a single point, while a continuous lensing model takes into account the mass distribution throughout the object. This allows for more accurate predictions of the lensing effect, especially for objects with complex mass distributions.

3. What types of data are used in continuous lensing models?

Continuous lensing models use various types of data, including the positions and properties of the lensing object, the observed positions and properties of the background source, and the observed distortions in the images caused by the lensing effect. These data are used to constrain the parameters of the model and improve its accuracy.

4. How are continuous lensing models used in astrophysics?

Continuous lensing models are used in astrophysics to study the properties of massive objects, such as galaxies, galaxy clusters, and dark matter halos. They can also be used to measure the expansion rate of the universe and the distribution of dark matter, as well as to search for new planets and other objects in our own solar system.

5. What are the limitations of continuous lensing models?

Continuous lensing models are limited by the assumptions and simplifications made in their construction. They may also be affected by uncertainties in the data used to constrain the model. Additionally, these models may not accurately reflect the real-world complexities of the lensing objects, which can lead to discrepancies between predictions and observations.