Continuous joint probability density functions

In summary: We can solve this by first integrating with respect to y:\int_{0}^{2} ax+ay^2dydx=\frac{ax^2}{2}+\frac{ay^3}{3} \bigg|_{y=0}^{y=2}dxNow we can integrate with respect to x:\int_{0}^{2} \frac{ax^2}{2}+\frac{ay^3}{3}dx=\frac{a}{6}x^3+\frac{a}{9}y^3 \bigg|_{x=0}^{x=2}Plugging in the bounds and setting the result equal to 1, we get:\
das1
Consider the following joint probability distribution function of (X , Y):

a(x + y^2) {0<=x<=2, 0<=y<=2}
0 otherwise

Calculate the value of the constant a that makes this a legitimate probability distribution. (Round your answer to four decimal places as appropriate.)

And then,
For the distribution above, determine the marginal probability density function of Y and use it to calculate the probability that 0.25 < Y < 0.75. (Round your answer to the fourth decimal place as appropriate.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? What properties of joint probability distribution functions do you know? There is one property that was used in a thread you made yesterday which is useful here, just extended to two variables.

OK so this is what I've done:
I set up the integral from 0 to 2 of (x+y^2)dx dy = 1
I've never done an integral with 2 variables before but I plugged it into this calculator:
Integral Calculator - Symbolab
and it gave me 28/3 ? Set that = 1 and divide and get 3/28?

That's my best guess so far, but I could be way off.

You've never worked with double integrals before? Do you know how to solve something like this?

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \int_{1}^{5} x+ydydx\)

If not you haven't been given the tools you need to solve this problem so it's totally understandable why this is difficult! :)

You are on the right track though in your reasoning. The double integral of the joint pdf should equal one:

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2} \int_{0}^{2} a(x+y^2)dydx=1\)

I would first like to clarify that the given joint probability density function is not continuous as it has a jump discontinuity at x = 2 and y = 2. It can be considered as a piecewise continuous function.

To calculate the value of the constant a that makes this a legitimate probability distribution, we need to ensure that the total probability over the entire domain is equal to 1. Therefore, we can set up the following equation:

1 = ∫∫ a(x + y^2) dxdy

Using the given limits of integration, we can solve this integral as follows:

1 = a∫∫ (x + y^2) dxdy
= a∫(0 to 2)∫(0 to 2) (x + y^2) dxdy
= a∫(0 to 2) (x^2/2 + xy^2) from 0 to 2 dy
= a∫(0 to 2) (4 + 2y^2) dy
= a(4y + (2y^3)/3) from 0 to 2
= a(8 + 16/3)
= (8a + 16/3)

Equating this to 1, we get:

1 = 8a + 16/3
=> 8a = 1 - 16/3
=> 8a = -13/3
=> a = (-13/3)/8
=> a = -13/24

Therefore, the value of the constant a that makes this a legitimate probability distribution is -13/24.

Moving on to the second part, to determine the marginal probability density function of Y, we need to integrate the joint probability density function over all possible values of X. This can be expressed as follows:

fY(y) = ∫∫ a(x + y^2) dxdy
= a∫(0 to 2)∫(0 to 2) (x + y^2) dxdy
= a∫(0 to 2) (x^2/2 + xy^2) from 0 to 2 dy
= a∫(0 to 2) (4 + 2y^2) dy
= a(4y + (2y^3)/3)

Related to Continuous joint probability density functions

What is a continuous joint probability density function?

A continuous joint probability density function is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of two or more continuous random variables. It represents the likelihood of certain values occurring simultaneously for these variables.

How is a continuous joint probability density function different from a discrete joint probability function?

A continuous joint probability density function is used for continuous random variables, while a discrete joint probability function is used for discrete random variables. This means that a continuous joint probability density function can take on any value within a range, while a discrete joint probability function can only take on specific values.

What is the relationship between a continuous joint probability density function and a marginal probability density function?

The marginal probability density function is obtained by integrating the joint probability density function over all other variables except for the variable of interest. In other words, it represents the probability distribution for a single variable, while the joint probability density function represents the probability distribution for multiple variables.

How is the probability of an event calculated using a continuous joint probability density function?

The probability of an event can be calculated by finding the area under the curve of the continuous joint probability density function that corresponds to the event. This can be done by integrating the function over the range of values that represent the event.

What are some common applications of continuous joint probability density functions?

Continuous joint probability density functions are commonly used in statistical analysis and modeling, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are also used in machine learning and data science for tasks such as clustering and classification.