Continuous Except Jump Discontinuity: Showing True for Any Function

In summary, a function on (a,b) that is continuous except for a jump discontinuity at $x_0\in(a,b)$ can be expressed as $f(x) = g(x) + cH(x - x_0)$, where c is a constant and g is continuous on (a,b) except possibly for a removable discontinuity at $x_0$. This can be proven by defining $c$ as the difference between the right and left limits at $x_0$, and then showing that $g(x)$ is continuous on $(a,b)$ except possibly at $x_0$.
Dustinsfl
Show that a function on (a,b) that is continuous except for a jump discontinuity at $x_0\in(a,b)$ is of the form
$$
f(x) = g(x) + cH(x - x_0)
$$
where c is a constant and g is continuous on (a,b) except possibly for a removable discontinuity at $x_0$.

I know that is true since this how I construct those functions but not sure how to show it is true for any arbitrary function.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Show that a function on (a,b) that is continuous except for a jump discontinuity at $x_0\in(a,b)$ is of the form
$$
f(x) = g(x) + cH(x - x_0)
$$
where c is a constant and g is continuous on (a,b) except possibly for a removable discontinuity at $x_0$.

I know that is true since this how I construct those functions but not sure how to show it is true for any arbitrary function.

Well, it's not any ol' arbitrary function. It's continuous except for one jump discontinuity. I think you could definitely say that
$$c= \lim_{x \to x_{0}^{+}}f(x)- \lim_{x \to x_{0}^{-}}f(x).$$
So, suppose you define $c$ this way, and then let
$$g(x) := f(x)-c H(x-x_{0}).$$
You must then prove that $g$ is continuous on $(a,b)$ except possibly at $x_{0}$. If you could do that, I think you'd be done, right?

Related to Continuous Except Jump Discontinuity: Showing True for Any Function

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a function that does not have any sudden breaks or jumps in its graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

What is a jump discontinuity?

A jump discontinuity occurs when there is a sudden change in the value of a function at a specific point. This results in a gap or jump in the graph of the function.

What is an example of a continuous function?

A simple example of a continuous function is a straight line. The graph of a straight line does not have any breaks or jumps, and it can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

Can a continuous function have a jump discontinuity?

No, a continuous function cannot have a jump discontinuity. This is because a jump discontinuity violates the definition of continuity, which requires that the function be drawn without any sudden breaks or jumps.

How can I show that a function is continuous except for a jump discontinuity?

To show that a function is continuous except for a jump discontinuity, you can use the definition of continuity and evaluate the limit of the function at the point of the jump. If the limit exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point, then the function is continuous except for the jump discontinuity.