Light can break its own speed limit, researchers say

In summary, the article discusses a possible explanation for why the speed of light might be slightly different in different media. It also explains that the term 'phase velocity' refers to the speed of a point on a wave, while the term 'group velocity' refers to the speed of a wave as a whole. The article also mentions a possible explanation for why the speed of light might be slightly different in different media. Finally, the article mentions a possible explanation for why the speed of light might be slightly different in different media.
STAii
I am really shocked !
http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/07/20/speed.of.light.ap/index.html [Broken] is back to 2000 (i guess), but it is really shocking !
What do u people think ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Well...

The speed might be off a bit...but remember it depends on the medium the wave travels through. Light's speed may slightly vary depending on the pressure, desnity, temperature, and other basic properties of the medium it's send through.

Originally posted by anil
The speed might be off a bit...but remember it depends on the medium the wave travels through. Light's speed may slightly vary depending on the pressure, desnity, temperature, and other basic properties of the medium it's send through.
The refractive index of dense media has nothing to do with this experiment.

- Warren

The group velocity, not the phase velocity, is being "broken."
Can you please explain more ?

-The speed of light that you measure in any medium does not actually means that speed of the photon changed.
-Refraction index is always => 1 , therefore even the measured speed of light inside any medium will be <= c .

Originally posted by STAii
Can you please explain more ?
Did you read the link I provided?

- Warren

Well i tried to, but i didn't understand anything of it !

Originally posted by STAii
Well i tried to, but i didn't understand anything of it !
I thought the article was perhaps the clearest explanation of the experiment that I have seen in a long time.

If perhaps you're confused about the terms 'phase' and 'group' velocity, the explanation is simple.

Imagine a monochromatic (one color, one frequency) laser pulse. You could pick a spot, say the point of maximal electric field magnitude, and watch it propagate through space. Of course, the word "phase" simply refers to such a spot on a wave. Phase is measured in degrees or radians, and simply refers to an spot on a wave. The "phase velocity" is the speed at which a point of equal phase propagates through space. In the case of a laser, all of the wavefronts move through space at c, of course. No matter what phase you choose (anything from 0 to 360 degrees), you'd find that that points on the wave at that phase travel at c.

Things get more complicated when you combine light of different colors (frequencies) in a pulse. Each individual wavelength has its own independent phase velocity (of course, they're all c!) but the entire group of waves together appear to move in what is essentially an arbitrary way.

If you'll take a look at the applet on this page: http://www.ee.mu.oz.au/staff/summer/applets/group_velocity.html [Broken] you'll get a feel for how things work. Set the group velocity to be about -0.1 and you'll see immediately how phase and group velocity are different. Both the red and green waves are moving forward at the same speed (same phase velocity). The sum of the two, which is the blue wave, is essentially moving BACKWARDS! This is the group velocity.

It's related to the well known effect that occurs when you watch car wheels spin on TV -- because TV shows you 30 frames per second, there are some wheel speeds at which the wheel will appear to be rotating backwards.

Let me know if you're still confused.

- Warren

No thanks, i got it now.
It was the terms that actually made me feel confused.
I remembered a smiliar topic was discussed on PF 2.0 .

Good day gentlemen,

Gravity controls all aspects of the four fundamental forces of nature at the quark level. Gravity-time can speed up for plasma desities creating hyperluminal photons and other superparticles that pass through time bubbles as hypergravity or light. When these events occour bosonic-fermion dynamics kick in, and eliminates it over a period for equvalency in time-gravity.
It is my opinion that the gluon, the neutrnio and the photon are all the same particle at different graviton levels. As time-gravity changes in transition to liquid and solids like that of stages of matter, from recreation to decay, the plasma has the same states as matter: gas, liquid and solid states.
When our star reaches quark energy plasma at its center manifolding takes place and slows down time in space dimensionally, this happens every 11 year cycle of solar flares, until the sun stops producing neutrinos that cut off the field that access hyperspace through subspace. So, when we speak of General Relativity, Einstein meant as
general in the sense of measurement, not general as part of sustinct
theory.

Originally posted by Kirk Gaulden
Gravity controls all aspects of the four fundamental forces of nature at the quark level... Einstein meant as
general in the sense of measurement, not general as part of sustinct
theory.
Don't ever post in the Physics forum again.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot

- Warren

As much as I might agree that the information might be a little erroneous, don't you think that the "Principals of 'Freedom of Speech'" should, at least allow, this person to post, with the inclusion that, you can, thereafter, explain why you think it is wrong!

After all, that is the only way to learn about people, them that are the purpose of the 'servitude', that Science, in general, seeks to serve.

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
don't you think that the "Principals of 'Freedom of Speech'" should, at least allow, this person to post
No. This person hijacked a perfectly good thread about light experiments to jabber incoherently about his pet theory of gravity. I don't believe such behavior helps this group.

The freedom of speech ensures that one is legally entitled to have some have venue to express one's opinion -- it does not mean, however, that every venue must allow all speech.

- Warren

I thought you wanted to learn. Good riddins.

Yes...we wanted to learn. Good job chroot explaining this phenomenon.

I'm no expert, but here is an analogy I quite like:

Two people are to carry a letter across a room (the room is ten metres across, for example). The information doesn't get to the far side of the room until it is carried there.

Person one takes 5-metre steps, each step taking 5 seconds.

Person two takes 1-metre steps, each step taking 1 second.

The second person is moving much faster than the first, yet it still takes ten seconds to get across the room.

- Warren

don't you think that the "Principals of 'Freedom of Speech'" should, at least allow, this person to post

No. This person hijacked a perfectly good thread about light experiments to jabber incoherently about his pet theory of gravity. I don't believe such behavior helps this group.

Now is there a difference between telling someone to NOT post in the FORUMS again, and admonishing someone for the content of a thread??

Please, I would like to know.

Now is there a difference between telling someone to NOT post in the FORUMS again, and admonishing someone for the content of a thread??

Please, I would like to know.
It's not an attack on the person (Kirk) -- it's an attack on the things he posts. Should he suddenly begin posting relevant and informative things, he will be welcomed. Of course, there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

- Warren

I agree with chroot. If we're talking about physics then this is the place. IF he wishes to start his own theory discussion, there's a lovely place called Theory Development. :)

What does it mean for light to break its own speed limit?

The speed of light, also known as the "universal speed limit," is considered to be the fastest possible speed in the universe. However, recent research has suggested that under certain conditions, light can surpass this speed. This breaks the long-held belief that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

How is it possible for light to break its own speed limit?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and cannot be exceeded. However, recent experiments have shown that under certain conditions, such as passing through a special type of material called a "photonic bandgap," light can travel faster than its usual speed of 299,792,458 meters per second.

What are the implications of light breaking its own speed limit?

This discovery challenges our current understanding of the laws of physics and has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe. It could also have practical applications, such as improving the speed and efficiency of data transmission in communication technologies.

Can anything else break the speed of light?

So far, there is no evidence to suggest that any other objects, including matter, can exceed the speed of light. The speed of light is still considered to be the ultimate speed limit in the universe.

What further research is needed to understand this phenomenon?

Scientists are continuing to study this phenomenon and are conducting further experiments to better understand how and why light can break its own speed limit. They are also investigating the potential implications and applications of this discovery. More research is needed to fully understand the implications of this groundbreaking discovery.