Continuous Example: Weierstrass Function

In summary: This function has infinitely many points where f is not differentiable, but is absolutely continuous on the interval [0,1].In summary, an example of an absolutely continuous function f: [0,1] -> ℝ with infinitely many points at which f is not differentiable is given by the piecewise continuous function connecting the points \left( \frac{1}{2k+1},0 \right) and \left( \frac{1}{2k},\frac{1}{2k(k+1)} \right) for all integers k≥1. This function is absolutely continuous on the interval [0,1] but has infinitely many points where it is not differentiable.
Juliayaho
An example of an absolutely continuous f: [0,1] -> ℝ with infinitely many points at which f is not differentiable?

Now what I had in mind was weierstrass function which says that f(x) = Sum (n=0 to infinity) of 1/2^n cos(3^n x) and is continuous everywhere but the derivative exists nowhere...
But I am not sure if that example really fits the criteria of the question or if there might be another more suitable example of that...

Thank for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just use a sine-like function, where you alternate between straight lines of slope $+1$ and straight lines of slope $-1$? You're not required to have the function differentiable nowhere, it seems. You could make this function non-differentiable at every integer. Something like this.

[EDIT]: Oops, I didn't see that the domain has to be $[0,1]$. You could probably take my function and squash it down in a limit, similar to the Weierstrass function.

Last edited:
Juliayaho said:
An example of an absolutely continuous f: [0,1] -> ℝ with infinitely many points at which f is not differentiable?

Now what I had in mind was weierstrass function which says that f(x) = Sum (n=0 to infinity) of 1/2^n cos(3^n x) and is continuous everywhere but the derivative exists nowhere...
But I am not sure if that example really fits the criteria of the question or if there might be another more suitable example of that...

Thank for the help.

I'm not sure that the Weierstrass function qualifies as absolutely continuous.

Here's an example that should:

let \(\displaystyle f(x)\) be the piecewise continuous function connecting the points \(\displaystyle \left( \frac{1}{2k+1},0 \right)\) and \(\displaystyle \left( \frac{1}{2k},\frac{1}{2k(k+1)} \right)\) for all integers \(\displaystyle k≥1\).

Last edited:

Related to Continuous Example: Weierstrass Function

1. What is the Weierstrass Function?

The Weierstrass Function is a mathematical function that was first introduced by German mathematician Karl Weierstrass in 1872. It is an example of a continuous function that is nowhere differentiable, meaning that it does not have a defined slope at any point in its domain.

2. What is the formula for the Weierstrass Function?

The formula for the Weierstrass Function is f(x) = ∑n=0 ancos(bnx), where a and b are constants with values between 0 and 1. The function is defined for all real numbers, but is only continuous at certain points.

3. Why is the Weierstrass Function important?

The Weierstrass Function is important because it is an example of a function that is continuous but not differentiable. This concept challenged traditional ideas of differentiability and sparked further research in the field of real analysis. It also has applications in fractal geometry and chaotic systems.

4. Is the Weierstrass Function used in practical applications?

No, the Weierstrass Function is not commonly used in practical applications. It is primarily a theoretical concept used to illustrate the existence of continuous functions that are not differentiable. However, some aspects of the Weierstrass Function have been applied in fields such as fractal image compression and signal processing.

5. How is the Weierstrass Function related to the concept of fractals?

The Weierstrass Function is closely related to the concept of fractals, as it exhibits self-similarity at different scales. This means that as you zoom in on a certain segment of the function, it will appear similar to the original function. This is a key characteristic of fractals and is also why the Weierstrass Function is sometimes referred to as a fractal function.