Continuous but Not Differentiable

In summary, if a function is continuous at c and (c, f(c)) exists, then both left and right hand limits exist and are equal to f(c). However, the derivative may not exist at c, as seen in the example of f(x) = |x| where the limits of the derivatives are not equal. The nuances of continuity and differentiability can be confusing, but it is important to understand the differences between the two concepts.
logan3
Suppose a certain function in continuous at [itex]c[/itex] and [itex](c. f(c))[/itex] exists, then which of the two could be false: [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c^-} {f(x)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow c^+} {f(x)}[/itex], and [itex]\displaystyle f'(c)[/itex]?

I feel like both could be false, because if the formal derivative at a point exists, then the left and right hand limits much be equal -- but the function could be [itex]f(x) = |x|[/itex], which means that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} {f(x)} \neq \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} {f(x)}[/itex] (but [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} {f(x)} = 0[/itex]) and [itex]f'(0) = \frac {d}{dx}|0|[/itex] does not exist. I feel like I'm missing something, cause the nuances around continuity and differentiability have always been confusing (and vague) to me.

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
logan3 said:
Suppose a certain function in continuous at [itex]c[/itex] and [itex](c. f(c))[/itex] exists, then which of the two could be false: [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c^-} {f(x)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow c^+} {f(x)}[/itex], and [itex]\displaystyle f'(c)[/itex]?

I feel like both could be false, because if the formal derivative at a point exists, then the left and right hand limits much be equal -- but the function could be [itex]f(x) = |x|[/itex], which means that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} {f(x)} \neq \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} {f(x)}[/itex] (but [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} {f(x)} = 0[/itex]) and [itex]f'(0) = \frac {d}{dx}|0|[/itex] does not exist. I feel like I'm missing something, cause the nuances around continuity and differentiability have always been confusing (and vague) to me.

Thank-you
If f is continuous in c, then ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow c^-} {f(x)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow c^+} {f(x)} =f(c)##.

For ##f(x)=|x|##, what you have is that ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} \frac{f(x)}{x}=\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} \frac{-x}{x}=-1## and ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{f(x)}{x}=\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{x}{x}=1##. That's why the function has no derivative in 0.

logan3 said:

I feel like both could be false, because if the formal derivative at a point exists, then the left and right hand limits much be equal -- but the function could be [itex]f(x) = |x|[/itex], which means that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} {f(x)} \neq \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} {f(x)}[/itex]
No, this is wrong. Both [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} {f(x)}[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} {f(x)}[/itex] exist and are equal to 0.
If [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)[/itex] exists then it must be true that [itex]\lim_{x\to a^-} f(x)[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x\to a+} f(x)[/itex] exist and are equal. Perhaps you are thinking of the fact that the limits of the derivatives are not equal: [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} {f'(x)} \neq \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} {f'(x)}[/itex].
(Note f'(x), not f(x).)

(but [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} {f(x)} = 0[/itex]) and [itex]f'(0) = \frac {d}{dx}|0|[/itex] does not exist. I feel like I'm missing something, cause the nuances around continuity and differentiability have always been confusing (and vague) to me.

Thank-you

Related to Continuous but Not Differentiable

What does it mean for a function to be continuous but not differentiable?

Continuous but not differentiable functions are those that have no sharp turns or corners in their graph, but also have no well-defined slope at certain points. This means that the function is continuous, meaning there are no breaks or gaps in the graph, but its derivative (slope) does not exist at certain points.

Why are continuous but not differentiable functions important?

Continuous but not differentiable functions are important in various areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They provide examples of functions that have certain properties but do not satisfy others, which can lead to more complex and interesting mathematical concepts.

What are some examples of continuous but not differentiable functions?

A classic example of a continuous but not differentiable function is the absolute value function, which has a sharp corner at the origin. Other examples include the Weierstrass function, which is continuous everywhere but differentiable nowhere, and the Takagi function, which is continuous everywhere but differentiable only at rational numbers.

What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are related but distinct concepts. Continuity refers to a function's behavior at a certain point, meaning there are no gaps or breaks in the graph. Differentiability, on the other hand, refers to a function's slope at a certain point, meaning it has a well-defined derivative at that point.

Can a function be differentiable but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable but not continuous. This is because a function must be continuous at a point in order for it to be differentiable at that point. If a function has a break or gap at a certain point, its slope cannot be well-defined and therefore it is not differentiable at that point.