Favorite books on quantum mechanics?

I've seen many people refer posters to books on quantum mechanics. It seems that there are many different methods used in the books out there today. Some jump right into solving the Schroedinger equation while others spend a lot of time on the related math beforehand. What are the forum members favorite books on quantum mechanics and why?I know that universities are slow to change their required material for practical reasons. Has anyone picked up a recent title that stuck out in their minds?Just curious...In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches and methods used in books on quantum mechanics. The forum members share their favorite books and mention "Quantum Mechanics" by Alistair Rae as a good reference, with a new edition released recently. They also note the
Allday
I've seen many people refer posters to books on quantum mechanics. It seems that there are many different methods used in the books out there today. Some jump right into solving the Schroedinger equation while others spend a lot of time on the related math beforehand. What are the forum members favorite books on quantum mechanics and why? I know that universities are slow to change their required material for practical reasons. Has anyone picked up a recent title that stuck out in their minds? Just curious...

-
Gabriel

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought "Quantum Mechanics" by Alistair Rae was a good book for the beginnings of QM. A new edition was released within the last year or two. Nice concise-ish book, not many examples but a good reference.

Jonathan

's response:

As a physics student, I have read several books on quantum mechanics and my favorite one is "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. This book provides a clear and concise introduction to quantum mechanics without overwhelming the reader with complex mathematical equations. It also includes exercises and problems to help solidify understanding of the concepts. I appreciate the authors' approach of focusing on the fundamental principles and concepts rather than just solving equations.

Another great book is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. This book is widely used in many universities and provides a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to the subject. It covers all the necessary mathematical background and also includes interesting applications of quantum mechanics.

I have also heard great things about "The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone" by Kenneth W. Ford. This book is written for a general audience and does not require a strong background in math or physics. It provides a fascinating and accessible look into the world of quantum mechanics.

Overall, I believe the choice of a book on quantum mechanics depends on the reader's background and level of understanding. For beginners, I would recommend "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" or "The Quantum World", while for more advanced readers, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" is a great option.

1. What are some recommended books for beginners on quantum mechanics?

Some popular books for beginners on quantum mechanics include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Quantum Mechanics: A Complete Introduction" by Alexandre Zagoskin, and "Introducing Quantum Theory: A Graphic Guide" by J.P. McEvoy and Oscar Zarate.

2. What are the best textbooks for a more advanced understanding of quantum mechanics?

Some highly recommended textbooks for a more advanced understanding of quantum mechanics are "Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and Darrell F. Schroeter.

3. Are there any books that provide a historical perspective on quantum mechanics?

Yes, "Einstein's Unfinished Revolution: The Search for What Lies Beyond the Quantum" by Lee Smolin and "The Quantum Moment: How Planck, Bohr, Einstein, and Heisenberg Taught Us to Love Uncertainty" by Robert P. Crease and Alfred Scharff Goldhaber are both excellent books that provide a historical perspective on quantum mechanics.

4. What are some books that explain the applications of quantum mechanics in everyday life?

Some books that explore the applications of quantum mechanics in everyday life include "The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, "Beyond Weird: Why Everything You Thought You Knew about Quantum Physics Is Different" by Philip Ball, and "The Quantum World: The Disturbing Theory at the Heart of Reality" by New Scientist.

5. Are there any books that discuss the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics?

Yes, "The Quantum Mind and Healing: How to Listen and Respond to Your Body's Symptoms" by Arnold Mindell and "The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels Between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism" by Fritjof Capra both delve into the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics.