Continuity of velocity at the interface

In summary, the experts discussed a boundary condition for wave transmission at an interface which requires the velocity of a fluid particle to be continuous. This is necessary because a velocity discontinuity would result in a sudden change in momentum, but there is no impulse present to create this change. Despite this explanation, the person asking the question still wanted to know if there were any practical examples where this velocity discontinuity could occur.
SDRK
Dear experts,

While solving the wave transmission at an interface for an acoustic wave problem, a boundary condition states that the "velocity of a fluid particle at the surface must be continuous". Could you please let me know why is it required, and a physical insight of what would happen if the velocity was discontinuous at the interface.

Thanks,
Rahul

Physics news on Phys.org
A velocity discontinuity at the interface would imply that a particle moving toward the interface would have a sudden change in momentum at the interface. Where is the necessary impulse going to come from? The required impulse is absent, therefore there can be no change in momentum at the interface

Thanks Dr.D for your reply. Could you also give me an example (in practical) of a case where there would be a velocity discontinuity at the interface?

Thanks a lot!

After I just explain you why it cannot happen, you now ask for a practical example where it does happen. I give up.

Dr.D said:
After I just explain you why it cannot happen, you now ask for a practical example where it does happen. I give up.

Oh, I clearly understood the concept you mentioned...However,I was just curious to know if there would be a case of an impulse at the interface to create discontinuity of velocity.

Related to Continuity of velocity at the interface

1. What is the concept of continuity of velocity at the interface?

The concept of continuity of velocity at the interface refers to the principle that the velocity of a fluid remains constant at a point along the interface of two different fluids. This means that the velocity of the fluid before and after the interface remains the same, regardless of any changes in direction or speed.

2. Why is continuity of velocity important in fluid dynamics?

Continuity of velocity is important in fluid dynamics because it helps to explain the behavior and movement of fluids, such as air and water. It also allows for the prediction of how fluids will react and interact with each other, as well as with solid objects.

3. How is continuity of velocity related to the conservation of mass?

The principle of continuity of velocity is closely related to the conservation of mass. This is because, in a closed system, the mass of the fluid must remain constant. Therefore, if the velocity of the fluid decreases, the density of the fluid must increase in order to maintain a constant mass, and vice versa.

4. Can the principle of continuity of velocity be applied to non-ideal fluids?

Yes, the principle of continuity of velocity can be applied to non-ideal fluids, such as those with varying viscosity or compressibility. However, in these cases, the continuity equation may need to be modified to account for these properties.

5. How does the continuity of velocity affect the flow of fluids?

The continuity of velocity plays a crucial role in determining the flow patterns of fluids. It helps to explain why fluids flow in certain directions and how they interact with each other. It also allows engineers to design systems that can control and manipulate the flow of fluids more efficiently.